Hello!! + HomeAutomation + DS18B20 + MQTT

Discussion of the online video show SuperHouseTV, where Freetronics co-founder Jonathan Oxer hacks on his house using various Open Source hardware and software. [SuperHouseTV site]
Humpadilly

Hello!! + HomeAutomation + DS18B20 + MQTT

Post by Humpadilly » Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:25 pm

Hello Jon,

Let me start off by saying great job on the Freetronics Arduino compatible devices… all I need in one device, no shields etc.! I am really happy to have found them, I only discovered Arduino when I was on holidays in Sydney a few months back while visiting my parents…

I have been watching your videos on YouTube for a while and have been very interested in SuperHouse! I am actually trying to automate my house and SuperHouse is a great help. I will be building a new house from scratch within the next 2 years and plan to automate everything I can.

I have already started working on some ideas… I was very surprised when I found my Home Automation touchscreen on Freetronics.. http://www.freetronics.com/blogs/news/6 ... te-control

I have recently started building a Web interface / MQTT server on my RaspberryPI to automate everything in my house. I was looking to use DHCP for all my light switches and I remembered you mentioned in one of your videos that you use the ID of the DS18B20 to generate a MAC…. I was wondering have you ever posted some example code on how you are doing this? I am very interested as I am also using the DS18B20’s

If you are willing to provide any information regarding this MAC address generation method I would be really grateful.

HumpA

Splat

Re: Hello!! + HomeAutomation + DS18B20 + MQTT

Post by Splat » Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:38 am

I'm keen to know how to generate the MAC address from a temperature sensor as well..

while I haven't integrated my arduino with my existing Alarm system yet. I have got it so it'll tell me over mqtt which IO's are on and I can trigger it to send the alarm the signal to tell it to turn a light on or off.. or unlock the front door, or turn the alarm on or off. I just really want to generate a MAC address rather then hard code it.

Splat

jonoxer
Freetronics Staff
Freetronics Staff

Post by jonoxer » Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:11 am

Your wish is my command! I've been meaning to document this for ages anyway, but seeing these posts was the prompt that pushed it to the top of my list.

So, for your pleasure, here's a new tutorial:

Setting Arduino Ethernet MAC addresses manually and automatically
--
Jon

greenembrace

Post by greenembrace » Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:45 am

Hi,

I'm intrested in Home Automation, but just starting out. I was interested in the discussion of MQTT as a way of comunicating sensor data back to a central location. I've had a look at the arduino client for MQTT and for general sensors, light level, temperature, humidity etc it looks like it would work fine, some missed posts will not have any impact, however it only uses QoS = 0, so for light switches which require positive feedback (for the user, eg lights going on), you don't want the uses to have to press the switch several times, there does not seem to be any guarantee for the post at this QoS level.

Are you using it in the way yet? do you see any issues here?

Kind regards daniel

jonoxer
Freetronics Staff
Freetronics Staff

Post by jonoxer » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:18 am

Hi Daniel,

Right now I'm only using MQTT for sensor data, not the control mechanism for the switchboards. My intention is to do that though.

I haven't thought much about how to guarantee message delivery, but one way to do it would be to have the other client publish an ACK to an associated topic, so the originator of the command could look for the ACK and re-send if it doesn't see one within a certain period. Perhaps that's a naive way to do it, but I haven't investigated further yet. So far I've had no problem with message reliability.
--
Jon

greenembrace

Post by greenembrace » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:10 am

Hi Jon,

Yep, it is built into the MQTT specification, but requires QoS of greater than "1". But the Arduino client software only allows for "0". Maybe they will upgrade it at some point. One can always fudge but that then makes it harder with upgrades. I have plans into the council at the moment to build a new home and i wish to intergrate as much as possible, I also like doing things myself.

Look forward to your next episode.

Kind regards Daniel

matbor

Post by matbor » Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:55 pm

Hi Jon,
Any chance you can post your Arduino code for one of your sensor boards communicating to your MQTT server? Interested to see your code especially with multiple sensors.

Have started playing with an etherten and MQTT at the moment so keen to learn.

Thx
Matt.

mattgatenby

Post by mattgatenby » Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:18 pm

matbor wrote:Hi Jon,
Any chance you can post your Arduino code for one of your sensor boards communicating to your MQTT server? Interested to see your code especially with multiple sensors.

Have started playing with an etherten and MQTT at the moment so keen to learn.

Thx
Matt.
Greetings all

I to have been playing around with the etherten and MQTT and am still learning....

Has the code been published to GitHub or anywhere else ?

Cheers
Matt

matbor

Post by matbor » Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:21 am