Sourcing buttons used in Superhouse's light switches?

Discussion of the online video show SuperHouseTV, where Freetronics co-founder Jonathan Oxer hacks on his house using various Open Source hardware and software. [SuperHouseTV site]
mr-russ

Sourcing buttons used in Superhouse's light switches?

Post by mr-russ » Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:47 am

Hi,

Where do you source the buttons you use in the light switches, I googled around and found them for $4 each. It feels expensive, but it might not be.

Thanks

Russell

jonoxer
Freetronics Staff
Freetronics Staff

Re: Sourcing buttons used in Superhouse's light switches?

Post by jonoxer » Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:12 am

You're right, they're expensive, but that's about what I'm paying for them. I hate the idea that I'm putting $24 of buttons in some of these panels, but I'm doing it progressively so it doesn't make me cry too much. I also somehow justify it to myself by looking at how expensive CBUS light switches are ;-)

Pretty soon I'll have some 4.3" Android tablets to experiment with as well, so my plan is to use some of those instead of the existing light switches. I like the idea of a light switch that can display video (so I can do things like stream the front door security camera to every light switch in the house if the front door bell rings) but the lack of tactile feedback may be a problem. I like that with the current switches I can feel the position of the buttons without really looking at them.
--
Jon

mr-russ

Post by mr-russ » Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:09 am

Yes, $24 worth of switch is a lot, make the idea of having a single on/off switch even more attractive. Only need $4 per light, not $8.

Do you pick them up from Jaycar or some other store?

jonoxer
Freetronics Staff
Freetronics Staff

Post by jonoxer » Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:23 pm

Yep, I've been buying those ones from Jaycar: part number SP-0614 for the blue version.

http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=SP0614
--
Jon

mr-russ

Post by mr-russ » Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:26 am

Thanks thats a great help.

It did remind me of your walktime blog though. The one where you covered the creation of the light switches. I would be interested in getting hold of the light switch boards or some form of a revision of them. They would be great as plain board and I could easily chose some buttons to go on them. Would you consider another fabrication run of them, or even selling some of the existing boards?

jamesbryan

Post by jamesbryan » Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:38 am

If your in the UK they sell them at CPC:

http://cpc.farnell.com/1/1/14530-switch ... 49l-4.html

There priced at £1.65. Also they do reg, green and yellow!