Arduino Ethernet and concurrent use of SPI devices

Discussion of the online video show SuperHouseTV, where Freetronics co-founder Jonathan Oxer hacks on his house using various Open Source hardware and software. [SuperHouseTV site]
dukman83

Arduino Ethernet and concurrent use of SPI devices

Post by dukman83 » Tue May 16, 2017 9:58 am

Hi guys,

I was wondering if I could please get some help in regards to using the Arduino EtherTten and its Ethernet and SPI simultaneously, or if there is an equivalent alternative.

I am trying to create an Ethernet-controlled circuit which (among other things) can control a digital pot (AD5262) for dimming of LED lights.

The problem I have is that the AD5262 requires the EtherTen’s SPI pins for the SS/CS pins and so on…
I have read on the EtherTen page (https://www.freetronics.com.au/products ... RqzANKGNPY) that it mentions that the unit has “Fixed SPI behaviour on Ethernet chipset”. I’m a bit confused, as to what that means - does this mean that they can, in fact, work together?

I’ve looked into it prior to posting, and have found mention of it on the forum here (viewtopic.php?f=25&t=5377&p=10152&hilit ... net#p10152), here (viewtopic.php?f=25&t=2746&p=6264&hilit= ... rnet#p6264) and here (viewtopic.php?f=25&t=3022&p=6825&hilit= ... rnet#p6825), but it doesn’t seem as clear-cut as I’d have liked, as it seems to conflict with the EtherTen page.

The closest explanation I could come across was here (viewtopic.php?f=25&t=325&p=1493&hilit=s ... rnet#p1493), and it leads me to think that it’s a yes and no type of answer, depending on how you program the unit.

So I guess my question ultimately is: is it possible to program the unit, so that if I’m continuously holding the “dim” button, that the lights progressively dim, as opposed to me not getting any live visual feedback until I release the button?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

Alex