12V into Vin Problem

The "Eleven" is our Uno-equivalent Arduino-compatible board, but with a number of improvements including prototyping area, a mini-USB connector, LEDs mounted near the edge, and the D13 LED isolated using a FET. [Product page]
saximus

12V into Vin Problem

Post by saximus » Fri Aug 12, 2016 11:25 pm

Hello,

I was hoping to get some help with respect to powering my Eleven.

My project requires 12V for some external electronics so I have a 12VDC plug pack connected to a bus bar and I had intended on running a wire from the bus to the Vin pin to power the board. I have done this with an Arduino Uno with no issue but when I tried it on my Eleven, the sketch would not run and the regulator got extremely hot within seconds. Plugging the plug pack into the DC power jack does not cause the regulator to get hot but the sketch does not run correctly either. The only way I have been able to get the sketch to run correctly is by connecting the Eleven to USB and having the 12V electronics bus powered from the Vin pin so I'm starting to feel like the entire external power supply side may be corrupted.

Has anyone else had experience with this or could give me some tips to determine which part (if any) is faulty?

KegRaider

Re: 12V into Vin Problem

Post by KegRaider » Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:01 pm

Might be a bit late on the reply, but I have only ever powered my Eleven on 5V. And every other Arduino for that matter. For my testbed, I have cut a plugpack lead from a supply that fit into the socket, then wired it into my 5V lab supply (a PC power supply).

I have even powered the Eleven from my DMD panels, by connecting the 5V screw terminals on the DMD to the VIN on the Eleven via a length of single core telephone wire. Both ways work for me, but ONLY with 5V.