Serial monitor

The "Eleven" is our Uno-equivalent Arduino-compatible board, but with a number of improvements including prototyping area, a mini-USB connector, LEDs mounted near the edge, and the D13 LED isolated using a FET. [Product page]
hotddogink

Serial monitor

Post by hotddogink » Sat Jun 18, 2016 3:13 am

Experiment kit project 4. Instructions say to "open the serial monitor with the baud rate 38,400bps"
Where do I find tis serial monitor please. mht

Chris Ormerod

Re: Serial monitor

Post by Chris Ormerod » Sat Jun 18, 2016 9:47 am

It's in the tools menu of the arguing ide.

hotddogink

Post by hotddogink » Sun Jun 19, 2016 4:14 am

ok thanks but now i can't get the board to work at all. flashing red light meaning it has the sketch plunged in first project but nothing happening

angusgr
Freetronics Staff
Freetronics Staff

Post by angusgr » Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:57 am

Hi hotdogink,

What happens if you open one of the example sketches in the Arduino IDE (for example, go to File -> Examples -> Basic -> Blink) and then press the "Upload" button in the IDE (shaped like an arrow), to send it to your Eleven?

Angus

hotddogink

Post by hotddogink » Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:22 am

yes i have done that and the sketch uploads to the board and the led keeps the blinking red ok however the led on the bread board fails to light. It as if there is insufficient voltage to get the led to work as i have tested it and it is working ok. I have even tried it having removed the resistor (at the risk of blowing there led). Is it possible to test the output voltage from the arduino board when in a steady state i.e.. not blinking. As I have very little experience would a phone call help?

angusgr
Freetronics Staff
Freetronics Staff

Post by angusgr » Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:15 am

Can you post a photo of the setup you have, please?

LEDs are polarised, meaning they only work one way. The long lead of the LED has to point towards the "positive" side (usually towards the Arduino pin), and the short lead towards the "negative" (towards ground). If the LED is backwards then it won't light.

It's also possible for LEDs to burn out, but if it's worked before and you're using the current limiting resistor then this is probably not the problem.