Cant connect a Freetronics Eleven Board to OPC Server

The "Eleven" is our Uno-equivalent Arduino-compatible board, but with a number of improvements including prototyping area, a mini-USB connector, LEDs mounted near the edge, and the D13 LED isolated using a FET. [Product page]
lesliev

Cant connect a Freetronics Eleven Board to OPC Server

Post by lesliev » Fri Oct 30, 2015 8:57 am

Hello,
For the past few days I have been attempting to connect the Freetronics Eleven board to an OPC client on my PC. Unfortunately I cant make it work as the Board will not respond to the request for information from any of the three OPC servers I have on my system.

The sketched work OK from the Arduino Serial interface and I have been succesful in connecting from one OPC server when I set up two nodes both connected to the board at the same time. This is really strange but it sort of works.

Unfortunately when I connect from Wonderware Intouch using the SMC it connects OK to the board and requests the information but no response from the board. I have searched the internet and it seems there are those who have had success with an Arduino Uno (Not the Freetronics Eleven).

Has anyone else experienced this problem or solved the issue if the have or better still been able to connect their Eleven board to an OPC server?

Hope someone can help. I dont have a UNO board but will try one when I get it!

Les

andrew
Freetronics Staff
Freetronics Staff

Re: Cant connect a Freetronics Eleven Board to OPC Server

Post by andrew » Thu Nov 05, 2015 6:16 am

Afraid we're not familiar with your particulat operating environment (OPC server etc), however the one thing that comes to mind.

Are you running a Windows PC? If so, and you haven't already done so - please install the Windows driver - see:
http://www.freetronics.com/eleven/usbdriver

Then - does your software specifically seek out a device by its USB designator name "E.g. Arduino Uno", or just a particular COM port for connection. If so, can you change it to look for "Freetronics 16U2"?