missing com port

A shrunk down Leonardo-compatible board, thumb drive sized with native USB support. [Product info]
mikefox

Re: missing com port

Post by mikefox » Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:06 am

The Freetronics driver "LeoStick_Bootloader_Driver_v1.inf" is only for the bootloader as the leostick uses different VID and PID's to the standard leonardo.

After you upload the first sketch the Leostick will boot up like a normal leonardo and needs the standard arduino driver, which can be found in the drivers folder in your arduino directory.

After you install this driver, you should get a mouse, keyboard and a com port show up.

Hope this helps.

Mike

Thor-Atle

Post by Thor-Atle » Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:42 am

Dear Carnes

Tanks a lot for the support, but I still don't get the LeoStick to communicate through USB. English is not my native language, so maybe there is something I don't understand.

You are right, my LeoStick appears as com 9 when reset, but disappears after a few seconds.

I have uploaded SerialEvent, and started Serial monitor in the few start up seconds. But after same delay, com 9 disappears and Serial Monitor does not respond.

Dear Mikefox
I pressume you mean the "Arduino Leonardo.inf" driver. When updating the LeoStick with this file, Windows respond with "Cannot install this hardware. ... the wizard cannot find the necessary software."

I'm struggling!!!!
Best regards
Thor-Atle

mikefox

Post by mikefox » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:46 am

Thor-Atle wrote:Dear Carnes

Tanks a lot for the support, but I still don't get the LeoStick to communicate through USB. English is not my native language, so maybe there is something I don't understand.

You are right, my LeoStick appears as com 9 when reset, but disappears after a few seconds.

I have uploaded SerialEvent, and started Serial monitor in the few start up seconds. But after same delay, com 9 disappears and Serial Monitor does not respond.

Dear Mikefox
I pressume you mean the "Arduino Leonardo.inf" driver. When updating the LeoStick with this file, Windows respond with "Cannot install this hardware. ... the wizard cannot find the necessary software."

I'm struggling!!!!
Best regards
Thor-Atle
Interesting, that should of worked, sounds like it might be an OS or firmware issue, what version of windows do you have?
If you upload the blink sketch to the leostick, does it first fade in and out, then start blinking on and off?

Mike

Thor-Atle

Post by Thor-Atle » Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:13 am

Hello again.
I'm using XP pro ver2002 sp3 and WP pro sp3 Norwegian; same problem.
I've uploaded blink and that is working OK.

I have also uploaded AnalogReadSerial and changed serial. to serial1. And connected the d1 though a TTLtoRS232 and a RS232toUSB and receiving the value for A0 without problems. It is the USB interface on the LeoStick that would not appear as a com port after the stick goes from bootloader to my sketch. I presume there is a mismatch between the LeoStick and the driver on my computer. But during reset (and bootloader is running) the LeoStick appears as Freetronics LeoStick (Com 9) in device manager.

I'm using Arduino 1.0.1. Maybe I should try 1.0 and an old driver?
Best regards
Thor-Atle

mikefox

Post by mikefox » Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:18 pm

Hi Thor,

I just noticed the people in this thread are having a similar problem
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=655

So I've attached the driver from the Arduino 1.0 enviroment, try using it with your stick and see if that helps.
You should try to keep using version 1.0.1 if possible as they have changed several things that make uploading sketches and recovering crashed leonardos much easier.

Mike
Attachments
Arduino Leonardo v1.0.zip
(1.17 KiB) Downloaded 637 times

Thor-Atle

Post by Thor-Atle » Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:39 am

Dear Mike.
Hallelujah!!
It works.
Now the LeoStick appears as an Arduino Leonardo (COM10) and uploading and communication through com 10 is working with no problems.

Thanks a lot.

Best regards
Thor-Atle

mikefox

Post by mikefox » Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:52 am

No problem Thor, I'm glad you got it working.

Mike

Dex

Post by Dex » Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:34 pm

I also got mine working after seeing the post to try version 1.0.

Thanks

Dex

Tripod

Post by Tripod » Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:50 pm

See this thread in regards to you the com port not working under device manager in normal mode.

There seems to be confusion about the device which shows up on a com port for programming breifly during boot, & then shows up as a defferent device & com port once running in normal mode. Most people seem to be having problems with the later.

Check for the fix here: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=285&p=2234#p2234

Tri.

abisdad

Re: Stupid piece of junk!

Post by abisdad » Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:12 pm

I've wasted the best part of a day with this!

Bought from Jaycar today, only to find that it's the outdated Diskloader bootloader, loaded blink, then got locked out!

Took ages before I found this, which worked a treat!

WHY CAN'T THEY PUT THIS PROBLEM ON THEIR "LeoStick Windows USB Driver Installation" PAGE?!!!?

Thank you Mikefox!