Windows 8.1 does not recognise FreetronicsUSBDrivers_v2_2

A shrunk down Leonardo-compatible board, thumb drive sized with native USB support. [Product info]
Tony From West Oz

Windows 8.1 does not recognise FreetronicsUSBDrivers_v2_2

Post by Tony From West Oz » Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:50 pm

I loaded the Leostick USB drivers as per the guide and loaded the "blink" sketch. It worked as expected.
I then tried to change the sketch and load it to the Leostick, but the "Port" was not available (greyed out).
I checked Control Panel/Devices, Other and the Leostick hasd an X next to it. I clicked on it and checked the driver and it showed no installed driver.
I then tried to get the driver loaded, by browsing to the Downloads/FreetronicsUSBDrivers_v2_2 directory. The contents of this directory are :
FreetronicsUSB_v2_2.inf and
FreetronicsUSB.cat

I have re-started the computer a couple of times with and without the Leostick connected and tried loading the drivers to no avail.

What am I doing wrong?
Tony

andrew
Freetronics Staff
Freetronics Staff

Re: Windows 8.1 does not recognise FreetronicsUSBDrivers_v2_2

Post by andrew » Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:41 am

Please review the Windows driver installation from:
http://www.freetronics.com.au/pages/ins ... or-windows

If there is an error, please let us know at which point it occurs.

Tony From West Oz

Post by Tony From West Oz » Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:52 am

I download the driver zip file, open the zip file and extract to the default folder in the downloads directory. It has 2 files : FreetronicsUSB.cat and FreetronicsUSB_v2_2.inf.
I connect the Leostick and open device manager. The Leostick shows with an x against it. I right click and click on install driver, select browse and go to the Downloads directory and click on Next.
The System comes up with error message:
DRIVER UPDATE FAILED.png
DRIVER UPDATE FAILED.png (10.06 KiB) Viewed 6099 times
I look at the Properties and I see:
ARDUINO LEONARDO PROPERTIES.png

I did originally load the driver to my computer and did download "blink" to the Leostick. So why will it not recognise the V2.2 drivers? I also tried V1.3, which the system also ignores.
I tried deleting the driver and trying again, no change.
I tried re-booting the computer, no change.

Tony

andrew
Freetronics Staff
Freetronics Staff

Post by andrew » Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:42 pm

Thanks Tony. Do you have administrator privileges with your Windows login? If not, change your user account to allow this and try again.

Tony From West Oz

Post by Tony From West Oz » Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:44 pm

Yes, I do have Admin priveliges.

angusgr
Freetronics Staff
Freetronics Staff

Post by angusgr » Thu Jul 02, 2015 2:59 am

Hi Tony,

If the LeoStick is showing up as a Leonardo, it means a sketch was uploaded to it with the Board type set to Arduino Leonardo not LeoStick. The USB IDs that the LeoStick uses are determined by the sketch that it runs - so if you have a LeoStick that then gets a Leonardo sketch uploaded to it, it suddenly changes into saying it's a Leonardo! We aren't able to supply Windows drivers for the Arduino Leonardo.

There are two possible ways to recover from this:

- Check the board type in the Arduino IDE under Tools->Board is "LeoStick V2.0". Open the Blink example sketch (or any other sketch). Press "Verify" to compile it. Then get ready to press the "Upload" button in the IDE, but just as you press Upload also press the physical "Reset" button on the LeoStick. This may take a few tries to get the timing right.

When you press "Reset" the LeoStick resets to run the bootloader, which uses Freetronics USB IDs always. So the "Arduino Leonardo" will disappear and a "LeoStick Loader" will suddenly appear.

After the first successful upload this way, any subsequent uploads will work automatically again (as the "Leonardo" goes back to being as a Freetronics LeoStick).

Alternatively:

- Install the Arduino-supplied Windows drivers that come with the Arduino IDE. These drivers cover the "Arduino Leonardo". After this you can choose either LeoStick V2 or Arduino Leonardo for the board type, and it should work automatically. We recommend using LeoStick, as USB IDs are an expensive resource and the Arduino-branded ones belong to them and not us! However either will work.

Angus

Tony From West Oz

Post by Tony From West Oz » Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:32 am

Thanks for the advice. You have Nailed the issue.
There are two possible ways to recover from this:

- Check the board type in the Arduino IDE under Tools->Board is "LeoStick V2.0". Open the Blink example sketch (or any other sketch). Press "Verify" to compile it. Then get ready to press the "Upload" button in the IDE, but just as you press Upload also press the physical "Reset" button on the LeoStick. This may take a few tries to get the timing right.

When you press "Reset" the LeoStick resets to run the bootloader, which uses Freetronics USB IDs always. So the "Arduino Leonardo" will disappear and a "LeoStick Loader" will suddenly appear.

After the first successful upload this way, any subsequent uploads will work automatically again (as the "Leonardo" goes back to being as a Freetronics LeoStick).
I do not have "LeoStick V2.0" in my list of boards.
Leonardo is selected. So, how do I get LeoStick into the Board selection list?

Tony

angusgr
Freetronics Staff
Freetronics Staff

Post by angusgr » Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:51 pm

Hi Tony,

You'll need the LeoStick Board Profile, which you can download as part of the second step in the LeoStick Getting Started Guide:
http://www.freetronics.com.au/pages/leo ... rted-guide

Angus

Tony From West Oz

Post by Tony From West Oz » Tue Jul 07, 2015 1:10 pm

Angus,
Thank you, I now have the Leostick showing up as a Leostick in the Arduino progeramme and a port is assigned to it.

Now to start learning how to drive it.

Regards.
Tony

dave

Post by dave » Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:08 pm

Thanks Angusr,

followed the steps you outlined to recover from my leostick showing up as a Leonardo instead, they worked fine.

Cheers

dave