What is the trick to get windows 7 working with card

A shrunk down Leonardo-compatible board, thumb drive sized with native USB support. [Product info]
Tripod

Re: What is the trick to get windows 7 working with card

Post by Tripod » Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:04 pm

Thats Great Darkling, Good to hear..........

I know I was pretty harsh on these guys for this oversight but the least they could do is come in here and respond/address the issue.

I really have not seen that as yet !!

So I presume the problem still exists.

"HELLO" .....anyone home there at Freetronics ?? :?

cef
Freetronics Staff
Freetronics Staff

Post by cef » Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:40 am

FWIW:

1. I don't work for Freetronics, but I know Marc and Jon (the two people behind Freetronics), and help out with general admin stuff (like deleting spam), so they can get on with the important things.

2. Jon has been quite ill lately, and this has meant that Marc is doing double time running the business (which is almost a full time job for both involved). I'd be guessing this, if anything, has been why you haven't seen any response from them lately.

3. Jon is more into Linux, while Marc more into Windows. If you were going to see a reply, I'd 99% guess it would be from Marc, not Jon.

Life always gets in the way of getting stuff done.

Tripod

Post by Tripod » Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:01 am

Thanks for that update there Cef, Well that explains it then.

Hope they can get back on top of things soon.

Cheers Tri.

xxxmicrobexxx

Post by xxxmicrobexxx » Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:43 am

Nice work. Wish I was smart enough to have figured this out :P

jonoxer
Freetronics Staff
Freetronics Staff

Post by jonoxer » Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:15 pm

Sorry about the silence! I was laid up in hospital for a while and I'm still way behind on pretty much all parts of life, but doing my best to catch up.

The situation with the LeoStick drivers became really confusing with the release of Arduino IDE v1.0.1 unfortunately, which totally changed the Leonardo board profile compared to v1.0, and also with changes to the bootloader used on the Leonardo and compatible boards including the LeoStick. The early Leonardo bootloader that was made available during the beta period was called the "Diskloader" bootloader, and that's what IDE v1.0 expects to see. The Diskloader bootloader is what we shipped on the first couple of thousand LeoSticks.

However, when the final Leonardo was released and IDE v1.0.1 came out to match it, the board profile was different and it used a new bootloader called "Caterina".

Result: confusion.

But never fear, it's all sorted out now!

To clear things up I've just finished a major rewrite of the LeoStick setup guide, created two revised board profiles to cover the different bootloaders, and created a new unified .inf file (only required on Windows) that combines all existing Freetronics boards (including both LeoStick bootloaders) into a single file to make installation much simpler.

Hopefully this'll help you out, so please check out the updated guide:

http://www.freetronics.com/pages/leosti ... rted-guide
--
Jon

peterept

Post by peterept » Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:39 am

Legend!

For me, the edit takes place in the FreetronicsUSB_v1_0.inf file:

It had 5 devices in DeviceList and DeviceList.NTamd64 sections. I just pasted my Hardware ID to the end of each one.

Then it worked as detailed above. Happily running Sketches now.

Can't thank you enough!

bigpete_h

Post by bigpete_h » Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:02 am

Tripod wrote:Well thanks for wasting hours of my Time FreeFark***Tronics....... Why don't you test the drivers & the product & your install tutorials before distribution, some quality control is in order here.

Thanks to a SteveCares, Thank God Steve does care, cause Freetronics doesn't.

I finally got my leostick's serial port recognosed by Windows.

Here is what to do, goto your device manager & under other devices right click on the leostick that has the exclamation against it.
Select Properties.
Select Details TAB
From the Property Pull down Select Hardware ID's
Right click on the second hardware ID down & select copy.
Here is what mine looks like (USB\VID_2341&PID_0034&MI_00)

Now go to the where your LeoStick_Bootloader_Driver_v1.inf file is saved & open the file for editing, use notepad.

Find the two lines towards the bottom of the file that start with %DESCRIPTION%
Append to both lines your Hardware ID found in the above step put a comma before the new ID entry.

Here is what my new inf file looks like in the devicelist section with my new entry appended.

[DeviceList]
%DESCRIPTION%=DriverInstall, USB\VID_20A0&PID_4151&MI_00, USB\VID_20A0&PID_4151&REV_0100, USB\VID_20A0&PID_4151, USB\VID_2341&PID_0034&MI_00

[DeviceList.NTamd64]
%DESCRIPTION%=DriverInstall, USB\VID_20A0&PID_4151&MI_00, USB\VID_20A0&PID_4151&REV_0100, USB\VID_20A0&PID_4151, USB\VID_2341&PID_0034&MI_00

Save the file & now manually update the driver for the Leostick using the LeoStick_Bootloader_Driver_v1.inf file & you should now have an active com port called Freetronics LeoStick associated with a com port number.

It looks like not all their leostick's they are putting out have the same Hardware ID's
Hence the trouble with the inf file & people not able to get their com port recognised when the board is in normal mode.

Cheers Tri.
Thanks Tri, worked a treat.

jonoxer
Freetronics Staff
Freetronics Staff

Post by jonoxer » Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:22 am

Tripod wrote:Now go to the where your LeoStick_Bootloader_Driver_v1.inf file is saved & open the file for editing, use notepad.
That file was made obsolete some months ago when we switched to a unified USB .inf file for all products. I didn't think it was being referenced anymore in any of the guides. Where did you download it from?
Tripod wrote:Find the two lines towards the bottom of the file that start with %DESCRIPTION%
Append to both lines your Hardware ID found in the above step put a comma before the new ID entry.
That's not necessary if you're using the current .inf file, which includes every profile for every USB device we've ever released. The current file is linked from both the product page and from the LeoStick Getting Started guide:

http://www.freetronics.com/pages/leosti ... rted-guide
Tripod wrote:It looks like not all their leostick's they are putting out have the same Hardware ID's
Hence the trouble with the inf file & people not able to get their com port recognised when the board is in normal mode.
That's correct. There are two versions of the bootloader: the first one was based on the bootloader that was on the Arduino Leonardo betas, and the current one is based on the official Leonardo bootloader. That's explained in the Getting Started guide as well, including how to tell them apart. The different bootloaders have different USB PIDs so they can be matched to the appropriate board profile.

Perhaps there's some outdated documentation somewhere that I'm not aware of, that's leading you astray.
--
Jon

abisdad

Post by abisdad » Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:42 am

This didn't work for me - BUT THIS DID! :-)

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=707&start=10

It uses the Ver 1.0 driver not the one on their driver install page!

WHY CAN'T THEY DOCUMENT THIS!

jonoxer
Freetronics Staff
Freetronics Staff

Post by jonoxer » Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:38 pm

When you say "this didn't work for me", what do you mean by "this"? Have you tried the unified .inf file that's referenced in the current documentation?

I don't understand why people are saying to use the modified version of the old .inf file. The .inf that's linked from the current documentation should work for any LeoStick, no matter which bootloader is on it. The driver installation process is fully documented, including for both versions of the bootloader, and has been for many months.

If someone will say specifically what is wrong with the current documentation, I can fix it. Just saying "why don't they document this" doesn't help solve anything.

I'm not saying the current documentation is perfect - but if you don't say what the actual problem is, it'll never get better.
--
Jon