What is the trick to get windows 7 working with card

A shrunk down Leonardo-compatible board, thumb drive sized with native USB support. [Product info]
sleat
Re: What is the trick to get windows 7 working with card

Post by sleat » Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:43 am

Hi, Jon,
jonoxer wrote:Sorry about the silence! I was laid up in hospital for a while and I'm still way behind on pretty much all parts of life, but doing my best to catch up.
Glad to hear you're well again!
jonoxer wrote: But never fear, it's all sorted out now!

Jon
Does this mean that older LeoStick parts (with the old bootloader) can use analogWrite on pin D13?

And if they can't, can you say why that is, i.e. what has the bootloader got to do with it?

I ask this since I believe JayCar supplied me yesterday with the old non-caterina bootloader LeoStick, and I can't get analogWrite to work on the red LED, but I still don't understand why the bootloader matters.

And if for some reason it does, is there a way to burn the caterina bootloader on a LeoStick without buying an ICSP hardware device, or using another Arduino per this tutorial?
http://arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/ArduinoISP

And assuming I do have to burn a new BL to get the red LED to dim, is the one adr1an linked to the appropriate one, or is there a better one?

RedDog1000

Post by RedDog1000 » Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:24 am

Guys, please help

I have a Leostick (bought from Jaycar last year), which worked OK under Arduino IDE V1.0, but I have just upgraded to 1.0.3 today and have run into the "Leonardo VS LeoStick" driver problem
:o
I downloaded the so called "latest" Windoze 7 (I am using 32bit) driver from the Freetronics website (http://www.freetronics.com/pages/leostick-usb-driver) , the driver file that Jon advises is unified and updated, but which still has the following in the header - DriverVer=11/15/2007,5.1.2600.0,
:lol:
so is the link correct, or can anyone point to a more up to date driver?
I can't see any mention of my device hardware ID's in the inf file on the Freetronics website,
:?
USB\VID_2341&PID_0034&REV_0100&MI_00
USB\VID_2341&PID_0034&MI_00
:geek:
I will try the edits suggested by others, but what I started off by thinking would be a simple task is really becoming a pain so any help really appreaciated,
:ugeek:
cheers RedDog1000

Marcwolf

Post by Marcwolf » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:06 am

6 Hours with a Leostick and still no running under Wind0ws 7 64.

I have installed thr right drivers,
I have set up Ardion IDe 1.0, 1.01, 1.03 and still no go
I have see my Device manager create, remove, create again devices for Leostick and/or Leonardo
I have Leonardo's ports that are active and other that are not
I have the IDE that cannot see the com ports that are created.

Basically I have no faith anymore in this product. I am looking for a small form Arduino that dones not need to have extr pins solderin in for I2C (Mini Pro's)

Sorry Freetronics - this product is NOT up to scratch at all.
For Christ sake get a proper driver/ini that works instead of inflicting this on us
Dave

zpatq

Post by zpatq » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:43 am

I have a Win7 x64 Laptop and I have had similar problems but I have gotten past them.
I do the following to connect properly:
1. Load the IDE
2. Load the Sketchbook I want to use and close all other copies of the IDE
3. Plug in the LeoStick
4. Check that the COM port in the IDE matches the COM port in device manager.

I do the following to upload:
1. Press the verify icon
2. Press the upload Icon and immediately click reset button on LeoStick
3. wait about 20 seconds
4. If orange writing comes up I redo step 2 and 3 again.

This usually works within the first 2 attempts.
This instructions assume that you have already done all the setup stuff already.
Please let me know how things work out :)

angusgr
Freetronics Staff
Freetronics Staff

Post by angusgr » Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:20 am

Hi everyone,

Thanks everyone for posting details of their configurations. I've just been going through variations of the LeoStick setup on Windows

EDIT: Please see the next post for a new version of the LeoStick board profile

angusgr
Freetronics Staff
Freetronics Staff

Post by angusgr » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:33 am

:!: Information in this post is now out of date, see the LeoStick Getting Started Guide

I did some more testing and identified a bug in the LeoStick board profile, causing problems depending on which Arduino IDE versions you had installed.

Testing Board Profile

A new version of the LeoStick board profile is available for testing.
EDIT: May 1- New new testing version 3.1, hopefully fixes another issue with LeoStick v1

If you're having problems, can you please download this version 3.1 board profile and unzip it in your Documents\Arduino\hardware directory (same as the existing board profiles.)

EDIT: Also please download INF file version 1.2 and follow the steps on that page to Update Driver for your LeoStick.

If you have existing board profiles (either LeoStick_v1 or LeoStick_v2) then you'll need to delete them from the hardware directory (this new board profile contains both versions.)

Once you restart the Arduino IDE you should be able to upload successfully.

First Upload With New Profile

If your LeoStick still has the old profile running inside of it then the very first Sketch upload, replacing that with the new profile, may be tricky.

On v1, press the Reset button on the LeoStick immediately before you click the Upload button in the Arduino IDE. Arduino may prompt you for a new COM port choice, if so then accept it (you can change it back after that upload has completed successfully.)

On v2, press the Reset button on the LeoStick immediately after you click the Upload button in the Arduino IDE.

In either case, you may have to try once or twice before it succeeds. However after the first upload with the new profile it should work smoothly for future uploads.

Thanks everyone for your patience while we work through this. Please post back with your experiences.

Occasional Windows 7 Error

There's still one intermittent bug I've seen a few times with LeoStick v2. Windows 7 can be very slow to respond when the LeoStick restarts into "Bootloader" mode following the Upload button being pressed. If Windows takes too long, the LeoStick may continue past the bootloader and run the sketch. This causes the Upload process to hang for a very long time and then display

Found programmer: Id = "BÕ6"; type =
Software Version = ; Hardware Version =
avrdude: error: buffered memory access not supported. Maybe it isn't
a butterfly/AVR109 but a AVR910 device?

If you're seeing that error with the new board profile then you can work around it by pressing the 'reset' button during the upload process, when the message "Uploading..." appears in the Arduino IDE.

(I can reproduce this bug with a genuine Arduino Leonardo as well, it seems to have something to do with Windows not with LeoSticks or Leonardos though.)

Dave555

Post by Dave555 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:15 am

I too am having trouble with Windows 7 64bit...

I uploaded one sketch - Blink - which is working but now the hardware isn't recognised.

My Leostick is showing in the Device Manager as a "Arduino Leonardo" which from my reading may be correct but it has a yellow exclamation mark next to it.... if I go through "Update Drivers" it tells me "Windows could not find driver software for your device" no matter what .inf I try.

I've read about modifying the LeoStick_Bootloader_Driver_v1.inf file but I can't find it in any of the many zips I've downloaded from Freetronics.

Can someone point me to where I can download - LeoStick_Bootloader_Driver_v1.inf?

It would be nice if Freetronics could update the getting started page - and put links to EVERYTHING on ONE PAGE instead of referring to the forum (which refers back to the getting started page lol)

Thanks
Dave

angusgr
Freetronics Staff
Freetronics Staff

Post by angusgr » Wed May 01, 2013 3:13 am

Hi Dave,

Sorry about the delay in getting back to you.
Dave555 wrote: I've read about modifying the LeoStick_Bootloader_Driver_v1.inf file but I can't find it in any of the many zips I've downloaded from Freetronics.

Can someone point me to where I can download - LeoStick_Bootloader_Driver_v1.inf?
This file is now version 1.1 (LeoStick_Bootloader_Driver_v1_1.inf.) You can get it from here Windows LeoStick USB Driver page

That said - although some people have reported success manually editing INF files, I do not recommend you do this.

Instead, if you go to the previous post in this forum there's a link there to a new LeoStick board profile (v3.1, new today) that you can download, replacing the older board profiles.

It's currently just a "test" version to see if it fixes everyone's issues with LeoSticks on Windows. If it does then I'll update the official page.
Dave555 wrote: It would be nice if Freetronics could update the getting started page - and put links to EVERYTHING on ONE PAGE instead of referring to the forum (which refers back to the getting started page lol)
Yes, I totally agree that it's frustrating and a bit of a mess at the moment. Sorry about that.

Hopefully very soon we'll have a confirmed solution for these LeoStick issues on Windows, and as soon as that happens the Getting Started pages will be updated with the new information.

Please post back and let us know how you get on.

angusgr
Freetronics Staff
Freetronics Staff

Post by angusgr » Thu May 02, 2013 1:59 am

(Out of date, see post below.)

I've also just updated the INF Windows Driver as it wasn't working correctly on Windows XP. The post above is updated with instructions to download INF file version 1.2 and follow the steps to update.

angusgr
Freetronics Staff
Freetronics Staff

Post by angusgr » Thu May 09, 2013 11:44 pm

There's an updated getting started page with links to a new board profile and a new Windows INF file.

This contains fixes for the issues reported in this thread. Tested on Windows XP, Vista, 7 and 8.