LeoStick install and first time use - Windows

A shrunk down Leonardo-compatible board, thumb drive sized with native USB support. [Product info]
jakobwyatt

Re: LeoStick install and first time use - Windows

Post by jakobwyatt » Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:21 am

When I try to specify the file path of the USB driver, it says that either the file does not exist or that it cannot find the folder. I have double and triple checked the file path, and i have moved the file to multiple directories. It still comes up with the same error. I have made sure I have downloaded the right driver, I have administrator permission, and I have done everything before hand that you guys said to do. I have also double checked that the file is an .inf file, and i have re-saved the file as an .inf file. It still comes up with the same error message. Help please?

angusgr
Freetronics Staff
Freetronics Staff

Post by angusgr » Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:55 pm

jakobwyatt wrote:When I try to specify the file path of the USB driver, it says that either the file does not exist or that it cannot find the folder. I have double and triple checked the file path, and i have moved the file to multiple directories. It still comes up with the same error. I have made sure I have downloaded the right driver, I have administrator permission, and I have done everything before hand that you guys said to do. I have also double checked that the file is an .inf file, and i have re-saved the file as an .inf file. It still comes up with the same error message. Help please?
Hi Jakob,

Sorry to hear you're having problems. I'm guessing you have the latest INF file, FreetronicsUSB_v1_3.inf? Can you please tell us which Windows version you're on, and what LeoStick model you have? Also can you post the exact text of the error message you see?

Thanks,

Angus

SpotOn

Post by SpotOn » Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:03 am

Hey all, I can't get the "Freetronics Leostick" coming up when I tried clicking on "Tools" and "Board". I suspect that I may have mis-set my board profile as I did mine as: E:\Jack\Data\Programs\Arduino\Hardware\LeoStick_v2_0

I got the other parts of the Getting Started setup; it was just that.
If anyone can help, I'll be heaps thankful for because I'm a noob and often get stuff wrong.
Is there an answer to this?
I'm running 64bit Win7 SP1, IDE 1.0.5 r2
my board profile as: D:\Documents\Arduino\hardware\LeoStick

angusgr
Freetronics Staff
Freetronics Staff

Post by angusgr » Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:47 pm

Hi SpotOn,

The INF file (for the Windows driver) is separate from the board profile. You should be able to follow the instructions shown here:

http://www.freetronics.com/pages/instal ... or-windows

Please let us know if you encounter a problem. If you can give specific details of error messages, or exactly what you are trying when it goes wrong, that will help us out.

Hope you get it sorted,

Angus

marks

Post by marks » Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:45 am

Hello All,

After spending the last few hours trying to get the LeoStick installed I'm stuck with driver issues. The thing is that I went through the install process detailed here:

http://www.freetronics.com/pages/leosti ... y_EPvmSz84

Which went fine. I even uploaded a sketch. After that I have driver issues with two drivers in Win 7 64bit driver manager. No matter what I do, reinstall drivers try Leonardo drivers, combinations of Leostick and Leonardo drivers I have the same result:

1) One driver is flagged as "unknown device"
2) OR it is a device but is flagged as "this device can't start"

IDE is 1.0.5-r2 and yes I'm waiting until the device manager works through every thing (different devices coming and going) in the few seconds after plugging the Leostick in.

So my questions are:

1) Should I be seeing two devices with com ports?
2) If so what should they look like? Should there be two LeoStick devices, 2 Leonardo devices or one of each?

The hardware device id's in the FreetronicsUSB_v2_0.inf do not look like the ones I'm seeing in win device manager.

Thanks in advance,

Mark S.

angusgr
Freetronics Staff
Freetronics Staff

Post by angusgr » Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:19 pm

Hi Mark,

Sorry to hear you're having driver troubles. It's hard to tell exactly what the problem is from your description, but I'll give you some steps to try and fix the problem quickly. After that I'll explain the full situation a bit so you can help decipher what you're seeing:

To (hopefully) fix the problem quickly:

* Open Device Manager window.

* With the LeoStick plugged in, press the Reset button.

* The LeoStick bootloader should start. If the driver is installed OK, you'll see the bootloader pop up as a COM Port. Otherwise, you'll hopefully see it pop up as "Unknown Device".

* If the bootloader shows up as a COM port, fire up the Arduino IDE with an example sketch like Blink loaded, and the Board Type set to "Freetronics LeoStick" (either V1 or V2, the Getting Started Guide explains these steps to have this option and know which LeoStick type you have.) Then press Upload and then shortly after that press the Reset button again to trigger the bootloader. It may take a couple of tries to get the timing right, but after the first upload everything should go back to normal and you'll be able to upload without any manual intervention.

* If the bootloader doesn't show up as a COM port, wait and see what happens a few seconds later when the bootloader ends and the sketch starts running. You should see the Unknown Device go away and another device appear. What shows up then? The next step will depend on what happens after that.

Here's a longer explanation:

LeoSticks (also Leonardos, but I'll focus on LeoSticks to start with.) appear as two different USB devices - the LeoStick Bootloader and the LeoStick Running Sketch. The bootloader is baked into the LeoStick before you get it, the running sketch is what you upload from inside the Arduino IDE. The bootloader device appears when the LeoStick reset button is pressed, then after a few seconds if no sketch is uploaded it will disconnect automatically and the "LeoStick Running Sketch" USB device should connect. On Windows, each of these should come up as a different COM port but the COM ports should appear separately not both at once.

The USB IDs can vary depending on your LeoStick. The bootloader could be VID 20A0 PID 4151 ("V1 bootloader"), or it could be VID 26BA PID 0002 ("V2 bootloader"). The running sketch should be VID 26BA PID 0003.

The bootloader should always appear successfully as a USB device. The running sketch might fail to appear if it's been somehow flashed with a wrong program or something has gotten corrupt.

The Leonardo, as opposed to the LeoStick, has a different set of USB IDs for bootloader and sketch. These should never be ever seen on a the LeoStick (and similarly the Leonardo drivers should not be needed for the LeoStick.) The only exception will be if you accidentally uploaded a sketch to the LeoStick with the Board Type in the IDE set to Leonardo. This is not really a problem, in fact it works, it just means you need both drivers installed - you should see "LeoStick Bootloader" come up first, then a few seconds later "Leonardo" connect as the sketch runs.

One other note is that "failed to start" errors in Windows may imply a lower level problem with the USB connection or USB port. Perhaps try a different USB port, especially if you're using USB 3.0 ports try a USB 2.0 port (I haven't had any problems with USB 3.0 ports myself, but some USB 3.0 controllers can be fussy.)

Please let us know how you get on.

marks

Post by marks » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:04 pm

Thanks Angus,

All working now. Basically pressing reset on the board does the trick. It actually appears in the driver manager as Leonardo due to all my stuffing around. I'll leave it for now as I have a new notebook which I'll load up when I get time.

Cheers,

Mark

vlad

Post by vlad » Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:40 am

Hi Angus,
Can you please provide the complete instructions for defining and using a Leostick board in Arduino 1.5.x? Or provide a pointer to existing instructions if they already exist?
I am currently (successfully) using the work-around of pretending that the Leostick is an "Arduino Leonardo" when using Arduino 1.5.7/Windows 7 (64 bit), but I acknowledge that this is not really the proper way to do this.
Cheers,
Vlad.

rudnuts

Post by rudnuts » Sun Nov 16, 2014 6:34 am

Hi Guys,

I was having the same problems on Windows 7 SP1 64bit on a USB3 port.

Got stuck with the device not having the drivers loaded and 'update driver' would not find it.

I had a close look at the Hardware Ids of my leostick device in device manager (after uploading the sketch) and noticed it has:
USB\VID_26BA&PID_8003

If you examine FreetronicsUSB_v2_1.inf you'll find the two lines:
%leostick.sketch%=DDInstall, USB\VID_26BA&PID_8002&MI_00

I'm guessing it's attempting to match id's and not working.

So I made a copy of the .inf file and removed &MI_00 from both lines, after that 'update driver' works and it is detected as "Freetronics LeoStick" and assigned a COM port.

Now I can connect to my program and interact with it over the COM port.

Hope this helps somebody else, spent about 4 hours playing around and reading forums before trying this.

Btw, it is definitely worth applying all the windows updates first before assuming any other issues, especially under the "optional" section look for "Update for Kernel-Mode Driver Framework" and "Update for User-Mode Driver Framework". Without all those updates it was "unknown device" which changed to something like unknown IO Board.

Regards,
Rudi

angusgr
Freetronics Staff
Freetronics Staff

Post by angusgr » Mon Nov 17, 2014 3:25 am

rudnuts wrote: I had a close look at the Hardware Ids of my leostick device in device manager (after uploading the sketch) and noticed it has:
USB\VID_26BA&PID_8003

If you examine FreetronicsUSB_v2_1.inf you'll find the two lines:
Hi Rudi,

Thanks for posting this and letting us know. Sorry you had to muddle this through yourself.

Can you please confirm if the LeoStick still has PID 8003 in Device Manager after you've uploaded a new sketch to it from the Arduino IDE?

Regards,

Angus