DMDCON doesn't work

The Dot Matrix Display (DMD) is a 32x16 array of high-brightness LEDs for visually striking effects. [Product Page]
chakas

DMDCON doesn't work

Post by chakas » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:11 am

Hi:
I bought a DMDCON and a Eleven (Arduino UNO) in your website to use them with my DMD.
When I try to use your libraries (DMD and DMD2) I have no apparently mistakes, but I can't achieve that my matrix show anything.
I connected the DMDCON in the pins that the Board says (D6-AREF) and I also connected the ribbon cable in the possition that it is supposed to.
I try to follow other guides and libraries to connect the display without the DMDCON board and that worked for me, but I use a lot of cables so I prefer to use my DMDCON board.

The schematic of my DMD is:
RD1-GD1
BD1-GND
RD2-GD2
BD2-GND
A-B
C-GND
CLK-LAT
OEB-GND

I know that they are different to the schematics of the Freetronics DMD but Is there a way to use the DMDCON board with my DMD?

stryker

Re: DMDCON doesn't work

Post by stryker » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:43 am

It looks like you could tidy up your cable problem by creating your own DMDCON with the connections the way your "DMD" needs them. It's not that difficult to do - for most of my projects rather than trapping an Arduino in the final version I've constructed a ribbon connector on a custom board. In my case it matches the DMDCON spec but in yours you'd need to make it suit whatever your display needs.

chakas

Post by chakas » Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:35 am

Yes, but I don't know how to match the connections on my matrix with the connections of the DMDCON.
In the Freetronic's DMD the connections are:
NOE-A
GND-B
GND-C
GND-CLK
GND-SCLK
GND-R
GND-G
GND-D

And in my DMD, the connections are:
RD1-GD1
BD1-GND
RD2-GD2
BD2-GND
A-B
C-GND
CLK-LAT
OEB-GND

Using the DMDCON schematics I can know how to match some of them, but there are others than I don't. Could someone explain me how to make it suit?

stryker

Post by stryker » Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:35 pm

Unless I'm misunderstanding what you're asking I think modifying the DMDCON is not possible but creating your own derived from the DMDCON design is. If you like the design of the DMDCON but you know the connections between your DMD and the Arduino, the DMDCON is open source so you can modify the design and create your own. There's no way to adjust the connections inside the DMDCON you've bought to make them suit your board.

chakas

Post by chakas » Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:43 pm

First of all: thanks for answer.
Second: I want to use the Freetronics library to control my matrix so I need to connect my matrix with the same connections than the Freetronic's matrix, but I don't know how to do that because the connection´s pins have different names (like you can see in my last message). What would be the pins that would match those in my matrix?

stryker

Post by stryker » Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:32 pm

Exactly. You do not need to use DMDCON to use Freetronics libraries so long as your DMD panel works with the Freetronics libraries when connected correctly with hookup wires. I don't. In your case you'll need to create something that has the same electrical connections as the wires if you want to use a PCB like a DMDCON.

chakas

Post by chakas » Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:02 am

Yes, I understand, but I don´t know how to connect correctly the hookup wires because, like I said in previous messages, the connections pins of these DMD's are different. So, how do I match these connections pins (Freetronics panel):
NOE-A
GND-B
GND-C
GND-CLK
GND-SCLK
GND-R
GND-G
GND-D

With these connections pins (My panel):
RD1-GD1
BD1-GND
RD2-GD2
BD2-GND
A-B
C-GND
CLK-LAT
OEB-GND

To have my panel connected correctly with hookup wires and to finally can use the Freetronics libraries?

Thanks for your time.

stryker

Post by stryker » Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:50 am

Sorry I misunderstood. I thought you already had worked out how to connect your panel up. I do not know if you'll find the answer to that question here for a non-Freetronic DMD panel. Some of those markings appear similar so you may be in luck but it will require a lot of testing on your part.

chakas

Post by chakas » Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:15 pm

Okay, thanks a lot.
If I find the answer I will post it here