Chained DMD Addressing?

The Dot Matrix Display (DMD) is a 32x16 array of high-brightness LEDs for visually striking effects. [Product Page]
bwooce

Chained DMD Addressing?

Post by bwooce » Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:19 pm

Hi,

Have I wired it wrong, somehow, or is Pixel 1 of a two DMD chain (2 across) on the left of the second panel (end of chain), with pixel 33 the first one attached to the computer.

It all works, but I figure I must have got it backwards somewhere? I imagined it was a flat linear address structure.

I have a scoreboard project (3 panels) that I'll share shortly -- I'm slightly delayed by Jaycar not stocking other DMD colours.

Thx,
Bruce

Aussie_Wombat

Re: Chained DMD Addressing?

Post by Aussie_Wombat » Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:44 am

Hi Bwooce,

The layout is as follows
dmd_arduino.jpg
Panel Layout for Multiple DMD's
Of course max numbers are 63 and 47 NOT 64 and 48 as shown in picture....

Regards Aussie_Wombat

bwooce

Post by bwooce » Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:11 am

Thanks Dennis, that's great -- so my 3x1 layout that ends up having "panel3" (64-,0-) connected to the Arduino is correct.

It would help if there was a link to your diagram from the product page. Marc? Jon?

I powered on two panels last night connected to a 4A supply and blinded myself, can't wait to mix in some yellow.

Aussie_Wombat

Post by Aussie_Wombat » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:53 am

Bruce,
3 panels wide by 1 down, would give you a range of 0 to 95 wide and 0-15 down.

So yes, panel3 ( yes - connected to arduino ) , would start at pixel 64 and go to pixel 95..

YES they are very bright when connected to the external Power Supply. But still worth it.

I have a small space invaders demo on my 6 dmd's, running from a basic program on my Maximite V3.2C. Invader moves sideways, and drops down 1 pixel when it reach's an edge, with the user able to move the cannon sideways, using the cursor keys on the keyboard, and shooting the invader ( space bar). If you hit it , another drops down to take it's place.... Will have to put up a link to it later..

I am about to build my Colour Maximite (8 colours) and use the V4.0Beta6 firmware to test my SpiDMD() code.
Unfortunately , there is no RGB DMD panel YET. Jon, Marc ?????

Cheers Dennis