Large Displays

The Dot Matrix Display (DMD) is a 32x16 array of high-brightness LEDs for visually striking effects. [Product Page]
mangus580
Large Displays

Post by mangus580 » Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:10 am

What is the maximum suggested panel quantity to be used?

I am looking at making a larger dispaly Maybe 2x6 or 3x8 panels. Would these be too large to run from one arduino? What limitations might I see? What kind of 5v power source will I need to drive this many panels at once?

Thanks
Mike

andrew
Freetronics Staff
Freetronics Staff

Re: Large Displays

Post by andrew » Mon Aug 31, 2015 3:52 am

Up to six DMDs run well, any more and you may see some tearing in the display when scrolling or displaying motion - so just for static text display or images are fine.
Allow around 3A per display so a large 5V switchmode power supply would be in order.

mangus580

Post by mangus580 » Mon Aug 31, 2015 2:58 pm

I forgot to mention - my 5v supply needs to be 'portable'

This is a display for a tractor pulling sled, and will likely have only 12v available. It would be pretty dumb to use an inverter to take the 12v up to 120, to bring it back down.

If its only 3A per display, I may have some ideas already.

When using more screens, is it possible to slow the motion down to prevent the tearing? I am sure multiple arduinos can be used to accommodate a larger setup, but I am not sure how to keep them all talking properly.

Mostly this display will show the active measurement as the sled moves; so it wont be any massive scrolling, or motion. But it would be nice to do some fancy things as well.

andrew
Freetronics Staff
Freetronics Staff

Post by andrew » Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:31 pm

As long as you have a regulated 5V at the required current level you're fine.
You can slow down the scroll speed however due to the method of updating the displays, the output may still seem a bit off when scrolling so many displays.