DMD Noise?

The Dot Matrix Display (DMD) is a 32x16 array of high-brightness LEDs for visually striking effects. [Product Page]
Binkles
Re: DMD Noise?

Post by Binkles » Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:36 am

I tried a huge number of things, but as soon as I plug in the dmd, it wouldn't count properly.

Went and bought 2 20x4 LCD and today the family and I have completed nearly 3000 laps, and only one miscounted when the wife knocked my car off and it flew over the start finish line.

Another option I was thinking about was if I could send the variables to another arduino who's sole job would be running the dmd.

Only other arduino is the fantastic 4x4 Rgb cube that I have at the moment.

But would it be possible?

Ie send say lane 1 xx.xxx laps xx best time xx.xxx and the second arduino display this info?

angusgr
Freetronics Staff
Freetronics Staff

Post by angusgr » Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:32 pm

Hi Binkles,

Possibly, but it really depends on what the underlying problem is - and we only have guesses so far. Also if it is electrical noise then it will depend on how well isolated the noise can be between the two Arduinos.

Angus

Binkles

Post by Binkles » Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:26 pm

Oh this frustrates me :)

Changed pins around and thought I would try on the analog pins with the digital read and did close to 200 laps and didn't detect any random reads.

Not sure if it's because I've changed the track, location of the switches, or the pins themselves, but does look like it seems to be working.

Though that's without supplying 5v now that I think about it....

Will test it tomorrow.

On that note, is there a way to turn down the blinding light when plugged into 5v? I swear if i set this up outside, I could contact ET.

Brissieboy

Post by Brissieboy » Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:56 pm

Yes there certainly is. You have 2 choices:
1. Go with the option in this thread
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=5760
or
2. Wait for the new DMD2 library to be formally released. Have a look at this thread
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=5893
This is currently in beta, but I think it will be worth waiting for. It will be the new 'standard' and be supported by Freetronics. Of course you can go with the trial beta version, but you may need to re-do things later depending on what they have in store for us.

Have a good look around this forum. You will find heaps of good stuff here.