Split screen marquee/scroll

The Dot Matrix Display (DMD) is a 32x16 array of high-brightness LEDs for visually striking effects. [Product Page]
Brissieboy

Re: Split screen marquee/scroll

Post by Brissieboy » Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:58 am

The DMD library version I started with is here.
To avoid confusion with libraries, make sure each library is contained in its own directory under the 'libraries' directory.
And also power your DMD from a decent separate power source - do not power it via the USB connection to the Arduino.
Very ambitious startup project - best take it one step at a time. Good luck.

UNO_ONU

Post by UNO_ONU » Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:37 am

It's OK, solved.
For some reason "Find" in Notepad didn't do it's job, maybe I typed it wrong, but I don't think so, tried bool first then boolean ?
I pasted it into the IDE this time so it was formatted and easier to read.

I had a couple of DMD-Master versions, one dated, 4-2012, 24kb, the other, 10-2014, 29kb and both have an instance of "boolean" in them, just to save anyone looking.

Thanks for the reply Brissieboy, I just noticed,
P.S. I have a lot of experience in electronic Stuff,
just none in C++ ;) or Arduino, I have a couple of 5V, 10A supplies.
Even those 8x8 MAX2719 units draw heaps, don't risk you USB port
always use a dedicated power supply for any of this type of work. Good advice.

I'll give the example a go later tonight.

UNO_ONU

Post by UNO_ONU » Sun Jul 28, 2019 11:51 am

I have my 192x16 (6 panels) array going at last, I tried the Split/Scroll on two panels and it seems to work OK.
6 Panels is a hungry beast of a thing, even with a good 5V-10A supply and another cheap version 5V-10A supply
(actually compared to the better one, it seems more like 5A or 6A) I'm still having power problems and needed
another (third) 1A supply for the Arduino as well. I may have to include some 1,000µF to 4,700µF Caps on the main
power terminals of each panel, it couldn't hurt and may even fix it. As these panels are pulsed fairly fast it may be
the instantaneous peak rather than overall current causing the supply problems. I'll work on it though.

This is my first real Arduino project and I still don't know how to write more than two lines of code, but learning slowly.
I'll try to attach a screen capture of a video I did earlier, the strobing between the panel and camera is fairly bad and
something I'll work on, it says "Come - On - Down ! !" But you'll get the idea.
I'm having a lot of fun anyway :D
Attachments
6 Panels DMDcap.jpg