This library is not backwards compatible with the original DMD library. It's also currently a beta release, documentation is incomplete and there will probably be bugs. Please report any bugs you do find.
The new library comes with several example sketches that you can base new functionality on.
Changes from DMD library
The DMD2 library includes the following new features:
- Supports Arduino Due (IDE 1.5.6 or newer), as well as AVR-based Arduinos and all Freetronics Arduino-compatible boards.
- Adds new "SoftDMD" support, which allows the standard DMDCon expansion board connections to be used on all standard Arduino compatible models - including Arduino Mega/EtherMega, Arduino Due/EtherDue or Arduino Leonardo. No more custom wiring for Megas!
- Integrated timer management for simpler sketches (optional, easily disabled if you want more control.)
- Improved performance, a single DMD panel uses approximately 5% CPU overhead to update (in either SoftDMD or SPIDMD modes.)
- New drawString() methods accept flash strings, or the Arduino String type, directly. See the "AllDrawingOperations" example.
- New DMD_TextBox class supports automatic scrolling, and automatic print() interface for writing out numbers, variables, etc. See "Countdown" and "ScrollingAlphabet" examples.
- New dmd.setBrightness() call allows changing DMD brightness (no more blindingly bright displays!)
- New DMDFrame base class allows direct swapping of the DMD framebuffer, supporting double buffering operations and similar (see "GameOfLife" example.)
- Test patterns
- Marquee support
Support for this beta DMD2 library will be slow over the next month, as I'm going to be travelling, but I'll look into any outstanding issues when I get back. If you're not keen to live dangerously then I suggest sticking with the stable DMD Library for now, until this one is no longer a beta release.