Recommended AC adapter for DMD?

The Dot Matrix Display (DMD) is a 32x16 array of high-brightness LEDs for visually striking effects. [Product Page]
victorhooi
Recommended AC adapter for DMD?

Post by victorhooi » Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:56 pm

Hi,

I've just ordered a EtherTen and DMD board, which I'm hoping to use for a project :D.

My question is - what AC adapter should I also purchase to drive this?

My understanding is that I need 5V DC output, and I should factor in about 4 amps per DMD board.

Apparently using the rails from a desktop computer PSU work?

Or are there any specific adapters that I can buy, that people have confirmed as safely working with the DMD?

Cheers,
Victor

andrew
Freetronics Staff
Freetronics Staff

Re: Recommended AC adapter for DMD?

Post by andrew » Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:37 pm

As long as you can safely wire up 5V at 3~4A per DMD. Each DMD application will use a slightly different amount of current depending on the number of LEDs on at once.

stryker

Re: Recommended AC adapter for DMD?

Post by stryker » Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:46 am

Hi Victor
victorhooi wrote:I've just ordered a EtherTen and DMD board, which I'm hoping to use for a project :D
Let the games commence! :D
victorhooi wrote:My understanding is that I need 5V DC output, and I should factor in about 4 amps per DMD board. Apparently using the rails from a desktop computer PSU work?
Kind of, and yes. You can actually run one DMD directly from the Arduino without any special consideration for external power. One is the limit though, and that one won't be as bright as it can be if it were externally powered. An ATX power supply from a donor PC will have heaps of power on the 5V rail, and I've successfully run an array of 6 DMD with one of those as a supply and currently have a single on my desk powered that way too.

I find this ATX breakout board from Dangerous Prototypes is a good way to keep things tidy too.

Cheers !
Geoff