program for coding graphics on the DMD

The Dot Matrix Display (DMD) is a 32x16 array of high-brightness LEDs for visually striking effects. [Product Page]
sparky-nz

program for coding graphics on the DMD

Post by sparky-nz » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:06 am

HIYA

My son the programming wizard, is working on a windows program to enable you to "draw" graphics on the DMD.

It will be a 16 X 32 grid. When you click on a grid location the "LED" will go red. You can then easily draw your graphic LED by LED until it is complete.
When you are finished a "DONE" button will be available, which when clicked will generate a list of the LED locations you have lit to allow you to program your DMD,

That is the plan.

Anyone interested in a copy?
Let me know, it will need testing anyway, Also once up and running some suggestions to improve it might be useful

Aussie_Wombat

Re: program for coding graphics on the DMD

Post by Aussie_Wombat » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:37 am

Sparky NZ,

That sounds great.

I, myself , wrote a basic program on my Mono Maximite ( a device similar to the arduino, but powered by a pic32 ), that mirrors the vga output, pixel for pixel, to the group of dmd's. I have used the display to have a single space invader move across the screen in real time on 9 panels.

I even have a player moving across the bottom of the screen, who can shoot and destroy the invader. It then starts again at the top of the screen.

Get him to keep going and keep challenging himself. It won't be long he will be doing animation work...
Aussie Wombat

I can put up a link to a video if you would like..