Where to get a white led unit

The Dot Matrix Display (DMD) is a 32x16 array of high-brightness LEDs for visually striking effects. [Product Page]
Aussie_Wombat
Re: Where is get a white led unit

Post by Aussie_Wombat » Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:05 am

hi Charlest,

For power supplies you could try here
The RS-15-5 is a single rail, 5V 3.0A model for $18

They have a large range with various voltages..

Cheers Dennis

charlest

Post by charlest » Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:44 pm

Aussie_Wombat wrote: For power supplies you could try here
Thanks for your suggestion.

charlest

Post by charlest » Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:43 pm

angusgr wrote: I'm not sure if Jaycar actually have any that are directly suitable. You could try your luck on ebay, something like this adapter looks like it would suit.
Angus, I've tried out my white DMD with some of the demos. It's a great display.
I would like to connect the above mentioned power pack directly onto the DMD, so that, it can be brighter. For that power pack, it has 2 wires, could you please tell me which wire is VCC or GND so that I could connect them onto the terminal blocks at the back of the DMD?

andrew
Freetronics Staff
Freetronics Staff

Post by andrew » Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:30 am

charlest wrote:
angusgr wrote: I'm not sure if Jaycar actually have any that are directly suitable. You could try your luck on ebay, something like this adapter looks like it would suit.
Angus, I've tried out my white DMD with some of the demos. It's a great display.
I would like to connect the above mentioned power pack directly onto the DMD, so that, it can be brighter. For that power pack, it has 2 wires, could you please tell me which wire is VCC or GND so that I could connect them onto the terminal blocks at the back of the DMD?
If there's red and black, red is Vcc and black is GND. Otherwise put a multimeter on it, if the readout is positive then the red meter probe is on the Vcc wire, black on GND. If negative, the opposite.

charlest

Re: Where to get a white led unit

Post by charlest » Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:53 pm

johnb wrote: If there's red and black, red is Vcc and black is GND. Otherwise put a multimeter on it, if the readout is positive then the red meter probe is on the Vcc wire, black on GND. If negative, the opposite.
Thanks for your suggestions, I've got a power supply (5V 3A) from JayCar & connected it onto the terminal blocks at the back of the DMD. The display is now really white & bright.

Would you recommend another way to attach the wires onto the terminal blocks from electrical safely reasons?
Connection.jpg
Connection

angusgr
Freetronics Staff
Freetronics Staff

Post by angusgr » Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:55 pm

Hi Charles,

That's probably the way I'd do it, if I wasn't planning on moving the display or the power cord around much.

If you plan on moving the display a lot, or attaching/removing the power cable a lot, you can get terminal lugs like these:
http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=PT4714

(There are actually different sizes depending on the diameter of the wire you're crimping to, so check that first.)

And you can get a crimping tool to lock those lugs onto the cable.

If you want cheaper options than Jaycar you can get cheap lugs and crimping tools at places like Supercheap Auto, and even a lot of $2 shops. The cheap tools can be a bit fiddly but they do work.

Just make sure when you crimp the lugs that you use some kind of crimping tool (not just pliers!), and verify that they're held on nice and tight afterwards - a poorly crimped lug is worse than what you have now!

Regards,

Angus

charlest

Post by charlest » Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:49 pm

Thanks for your reply.
I've a question regarding power usage. Since I'm using an external power supply of 5V 3A connected to the DMD. Would it mean I would be using 15W when most of the LEDs are switched on?

andrew
Freetronics Staff
Freetronics Staff

Post by andrew » Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:36 am

charlest wrote:Thanks for your reply.
I've a question regarding power usage. Since I'm using an external power supply of 5V 3A connected to the DMD. Would it mean I would be using 15W when most of the LEDs are switched on?
Yes, if you're maxing out the power supply.

charlest

Post by charlest » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:29 pm

Thanks for your reply.
I've another question in regards to mounting the DMD unit.
Is it possible to remove the black plastic frame that houses the DMD, and replace it with a more glossy/reflective frame?

andrew
Freetronics Staff
Freetronics Staff

Post by andrew » Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:58 pm

charlest wrote:Thanks for your reply.
I've another question in regards to mounting the DMD unit.
Is it possible to remove the black plastic frame that houses the DMD, and replace it with a more glossy/reflective frame?
To be honest it isn't designed to be disassembled, however if you're confident in doing so it's up to you.