Where to get a white led unit

The Dot Matrix Display (DMD) is a 32x16 array of high-brightness LEDs for visually striking effects. [Product Page]
charlest
Posts: 75
Joined: Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:08 pm

Where to get a white led unit

Post by charlest » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:14 pm

Hi, is there a place around Sydney that stock the white led unit, I would like to have a look at the actual one.
Last edited by charlest on Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

andrew
Freetronics Staff
Freetronics Staff
Posts: 978
Joined: Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:06 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Contact:

Re: Where is get a white led unit

Post by andrew » Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:49 pm

Afraid Jaycar only stock the red ones.

If it's any help I made a quick video of the white one when they first arrived, they're incredibly bright. It was impossible to record it running on full power, so this is just from the Eleven power:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VldXrA8s3Uw

charlest
Posts: 75
Joined: Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:08 pm

Re: Where is get a white led unit

Post by charlest » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:23 pm

Thanks for your reply. It's a great display for special projects.

BTW, I was wondering whether it would be able to work together with your LCD shield on a Eleven R3 board. If so, would you recommend a power supply with an output of 12V 2A?

User avatar
stryker
Posts: 282
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:44 pm

Re: Where is get a white led unit

Post by stryker » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:35 pm

charlest wrote:BTW, I was wondering whether it would be able to work together with your LCD shield on a Eleven R3 board. If so, would you recommend a power supply with an output of 12V 2A?
Hi

I think you'll end up with a conflict over some of the pins on the Uno as the shield uses D4-D9 which overlaps with the DMD's need for pins 6-9. I've only ever tried displays with I2C interfaces which co-exist with the DMD fine - as they only use A4 & A5 pins. I don't see one of those in the Freetronics range but I'll be delighted to be corrected on that.

Cheers !
Geoff

andrew
Freetronics Staff
Freetronics Staff
Posts: 978
Joined: Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:06 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Contact:

Re: Where is get a white led unit

Post by andrew » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:50 pm

charlest wrote:Thanks for your reply. It's a great display for special projects.

BTW, I was wondering whether it would be able to work together with your LCD shield on a Eleven R3 board. If so, would you recommend a power supply with an output of 12V 2A?

You'll need 5V 4A and sunglasses to run a DMD in full splendour. If you're not averse to some wiring, PC ATX power supplies do very well.

Right now we don't have an I2C-compatible LCD module however it's on the list. In the meanwhile something like this would do nicely - http://littlebirdelectronics.com/produc ... 602-module

charlest
Posts: 75
Joined: Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:08 pm

Re: Where is get a white led unit

Post by charlest » Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:22 am

johnb wrote: You'll need 5V 4A and sunglasses to run a DMD in full splendour.
Would you be able to provide me with a DMD compatible power supply from JayCar? I would have to get one for this project.

In addition, is there any white DMD available from your online store?

angusgr
Freetronics Staff
Freetronics Staff
Posts: 853
Joined: Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:19 pm
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Contact:

Re: Where is get a white led unit

Post by angusgr » Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:36 am

charlest wrote: Would you be able to provide me with a DMD compatible power supply from JayCar? I would have to get one for this project.
I'm not sure if Jaycar actually have any that are directly suitable. You could try your luck on ebay, something like this adapter looks like it would suit.

As John suggested, you can also reuse an old ATX power supply for high-current 5V if you're feeling adventurous (or stingy.)
In addition, is there any white DMD available from your online store?
Absolutely: http://www.freetronics.com/products/dmd ... 2x16-white

- Angus

charlest
Posts: 75
Joined: Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:08 pm

Re: Where is get a white led unit

Post by charlest » Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:14 am

stryker wrote:I think you'll end up with a conflict over some of the pins on the Uno as the shield uses D4-D9 which overlaps with the DMD's need for pins 6-9.
Thanks for your reply.
Last edited by charlest on Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

charlest
Posts: 75
Joined: Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:08 pm

Re: Where is get a white led unit

Post by charlest » Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:01 pm

angusgr wrote:I'm not sure if Jaycar actually have any that are directly suitable. You could try your luck on ebay, something like this adapter looks like it would suit.
Thanks for your suggestion on this power supply. I'll give it a go.
Last edited by charlest on Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

charlest
Posts: 75
Joined: Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:08 pm

Re: Where is get a white led unit

Post by charlest » Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:11 pm

Thanks for your help. I've ordered one for a trial project.

Post Reply