Portable scoreboard...

The Dot Matrix Display (DMD) is a 32x16 array of high-brightness LEDs for visually striking effects. [Product Page]
bwooce

Portable scoreboard...

Post by bwooce » Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:12 pm

It is amusing that we're all building variants of the same thing. We should definitely build some more common software features.

Here's mine in a state of pre-construction. It's 3 DMDs (2 Red for the score, 1 yellow countdown timer). The yellow DMD is a different depth (/construction) to the reds. I wish I'd known that before building the mount for it.

It's 900W by 600D, and used 50x30mm Alu box section for the frame, sandwiched between marine ply (now painted) and perspex for the front. It is very much a first iteration device.

Here it is pre-assembly (and painting). Ardunio Eleven in the box, power reg on the left, battery in the middle and lots of wires from the switches (score up/down x2, timer go/stop, and time up/down).

I'll publish my (grotty) code shortly at https://github.com/Bwooce/dmd_scoreboard, but it still needs refactoring and more importantly I have a 1Hz flicker issue -- I'm rewriting only the digits that change, but they all flicker on the rescan. I've tried scanning more frequently but it seems to tie itself in knots.

More photos of the built object later, it's all go now except for some Home/Away letters and some button labels.