Power for 6 displays

The Dot Matrix Display (DMD) is a 32x16 array of high-brightness LEDs for visually striking effects. [Product Page]
thinnair

Power for 6 displays

Post by thinnair » Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:37 am

Hi there,

I'm a electronics newcomer and am working on a project involving 6 chained DMD displays. I'm wondering if you need an individual power supply for each screen and the Arduino controller, OR a single large power supply for all the screens and separate power for the Arduino. Also, if not every LED needs to be on at the same time, how much voltage and amperage the whole array would need to give a decent brightness.

Many thanks in advance!

stryker

Re: Power for 6 displays

Post by stryker » Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:13 am

Hi,
I've always used a single power supply. For selecting the PSU we use 5A per panel as the rule of thumb and so far that's worked out well.
Cheers, Geoff

thinnair

Post by thinnair » Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:20 am

Thanks for the heads up Geoff – Forgive my newbie question, but what's the best way to connect the Arduino to the PSU? I'm using a freetronics eleven / uno

stryker

Post by stryker » Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:51 am

Hi
If you're planning to make this semi-permanent and trapping your Eleven in the project the neatest path I think would be to solder your power wires direct to the 5V and GND pads on the underside. You might also be tempted to make up a micro-USB cable that only provides the 5V and GND wires. If it's just prototyping wire it in through the 5V header connection.
Cheers, Geoff