life time estimation for arduino uno that derive 6 (16*32) dmds

The Dot Matrix Display (DMD) is a 32x16 array of high-brightness LEDs for visually striking effects. [Product Page]
abdo mohammed

life time estimation for arduino uno that derive 6 (16*32) dmds

Post by abdo mohammed » Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:37 pm

Hi
what about life time estimation for arduino uno that derive 6 (16*32) dmds
how can i increase it's life time
i mean it will be running 24/7
how can i estimate it's life time

stryker

Re: life time estimation for arduino uno that derive 6 (16*32) dmds

Post by stryker » Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:53 pm

Hi,

In this context the Arduino doesn't actually "drive" anything more than it would standalone. The power for the panels does not come from the Arduino, only the controlling signals which are all low power.

Your lifetime will therefore be no less than what the Arduino would have been normally. You could calculate the mean-time-between failure if you knew the exact bill of materials for the Arduino variant you choose, but I don't see after a short search any of them listing MTBF in their specs.

I only have a few projects where I've trapped a full Arduino in the final version as we normally design and use a custom PCB in preference to an Arduino with a stack of shields. Consequently I only have one project that's been running 24x7 with a Uno at its heart. It's mounted in an enclosure on the bulkhead of a boat, out of the weather inside the cabin, which spends most of its time on a hard stand near a marina. That has finally failed this year after about 6 years. I think its lifespan has been reduced hugely due to exposure to sea-air. I covered the board with a protective spray coating as much as possible, but areas like pin headers between the Arduino and the shield, and the tact switches (eg reset) and terminals on the shield would still have been susceptible to corrosion. I've not looked too hard into what caused this as we'll be replacing it with a new design, but the failure mode is it's functioning but results on the display (it reads current meters from various parts of the boat electrics) are erratic, showing impossible values. I expect the Arduino itself is perfectly healthy still, but one of the peripheral boards has failed.

Other projects using Arduino are mostly in haloweeen or xmas displays, and while they don't run 24x7 they are stored in a roof that gets unbearably hot during summer days, so they've been exposed to large daily temperature cycles and none of those has failed (though some plastic parts have crumbled with that treatment, Arduino stays solid).

My thoughts are you could expect many years from your Arduino project, but how well you can protect it from the weather will determine just how long.

Cheers, Geoff

abdo mohammed

Post by abdo mohammed » Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:09 am

@stryker
did your arduino in full (100%) cpu load ??
i mean
did you used to get cpu in sleep mode or it was in 100% cpu load ?????

stryker

Post by stryker » Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:49 am

That project was 100% running, no sleep or low power modes used.