Creating the Devanagari font for the DMD

The Dot Matrix Display (DMD) is a 32x16 array of high-brightness LEDs for visually striking effects. [Product Page]
piyushpandey

Creating the Devanagari font for the DMD

Post by piyushpandey » Fri May 05, 2017 4:52 am

Dear FreeTronics Admin and DMD creator,

I want to create the Hindi or Devanagari font for my DMD , but I am stuck at the point from where to start, so can you please help me out in this issue that how should I proceed.

regards

stryker

Re: Creating the Devanagari font for the DMD

Post by stryker » Fri May 05, 2017 7:24 am

I recommend reading this post by @Brissieboy. His custom font is very well commented and from reading that I learned what I needed to create fonts.

All the best, Geoff

piyushpandey

Post by piyushpandey » Sun May 07, 2017 11:03 am

Dear Stryker,

Actually, my problem is not designing the font, my problem is to discover the character from a text file or from an array holding the characters in the Devanagari, i.e.

dmd.drawMarquee(" Something written here in devanagri", 17, 31, 0);

or some file with the Devanagari content in it.

Now since there are the ASCII characters for the English alphabets so it's easy to compare which alphabet is there and then pick the corresponding text from the Arial_Black_16.h or some other font header file. But the Devanagari lie in the Unicode region, so my question is how to read from the file the data and then compare it with the text present in the custom made font header file.

stryker

Post by stryker » Sun May 07, 2017 12:47 pm

Hi,

If your alphabet has a traditional order (akin to A, B, C, etc) then every symbol could be referred to by that index. If there are 30 symbols (I'm basing this entirely from wikipedia) then defining your symbols from A through ^ would allow you to do what you want, as a substitution cypher. It's not ideal, but should be simple enough.

It then comes down to how your data is encoded. How were you intending to feed the Arduino the stream of information to display? It's possible the Arduino could do the look-up to translate to the correct font-character for the symbol, constructing a string that it subsequently displays. If it's only to display hard-coded messages then that could be somthing you translate for it so your strings will be pre-loaded (in latin characters corresponding to the symbols you need to show).

Hope this helps,

Geoff

harry56

Post by harry56 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:31 am