Can't get pc to recognise EtherMega

Combining the power of the ATmega2560 MCU with onboard Ethernet, a microSD card slot, an efficient switchmode power supply, and a small prototyping area. [Product page]
THE_PROFESSOR

Can't get pc to recognise EtherMega

Post by THE_PROFESSOR » Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:47 am

Hi All.

I have an etherMega... connected it to pc as per instructions... no indication of its presence.
Windows did not pop up the new hardware dialogue, nothing in device manager so can't install USB driver.

On reset, the blue pwr led comes on, and the red D13 led comes on (very dim) and then brightens over about 15 seconds.. to about 80%.

Power jumper is as out of the box - USB.

I'm using Win 7 Ultimate x64, Gigabyte x58A-UD9 mobo, 24 gig Ram.

Any help much appreciated...

EDIT:.. just noticed that the red D13 led is fading out.. Seems to fade to about 5% then back up to about 80%... cycling up and down about every 2 mins.

Cheers

THE_PROFESSOR

Re: Can't get pc to recognise EtherMega

Post by THE_PROFESSOR » Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:39 am

Hi tronix..

Thanks V much for the reply.

You nailed it..

In desperation I bought an EtherTen today... then saw your reply.
I tried the cable from the EtherTen, and Voila.

However, when I tried to upload Blink, I got a bunch of errors... timeouts and a failed miserably error. I'm guessing the dodgy cable has caused some fault on the EtherMega.

I spoke to the shop where I bought the gear (Jaycar) and they are being difficult... this can't possibly be the problem, these never fail amongst other things, so I might just have to wear it... only three days old.

I have attached a short text file with a snip of the errors. Would you mind having a look and confirming my suspicions.

Many Thanks
Attachments
EMEGA errors.txt
snip of errors whilst uploading Blink... last part of errors... was a bunch more before just the same ... without the miserable fail bit
(585 Bytes) Downloaded 166 times

jebz

Post by jebz » Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:53 am

Try a plugpack in stead of the USB power. I found the EtherTen drew too much when the ethernet was used. The mega having additional features may be too close to the limit for USB power. You could try a dual USB adaptor cable like the ones that come with external hard drives if you need to use USB power from the computer.

THE_PROFESSOR

Post by THE_PROFESSOR » Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:42 pm

Hi..

Thanks for that. I wasn't using ethernet... at least nothing was plugged in... Will try a plugpack.

Many Thanks

THE_PROFESSOR

Post by THE_PROFESSOR » Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:41 am

Hi..

I have just this arvo got a plugpack from Jaycar (regulated 12VDC at 2.5A) and everything works fine.

Interesting that with nothing plugged in, the USB couldn't properly power the EtherMega., although as you say, prob the EtherMega draws a bit too much juice.

Many Thanks