DFU Mode

Combining the power of the ATmega2560 MCU with onboard Ethernet, a microSD card slot, an efficient switchmode power supply, and a small prototyping area. [Product page]
SpudInNZ

DFU Mode

Post by SpudInNZ » Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:06 am

Hello all

I'm trying to get my EtherMega into DFU mode but failing miserably. I can see two pads marked 'uboot' but not sure what part they might/or not play. I tried shorting them, it just makes the lcd blink off and back on. Shorting the two pins closest to the USB socket gives me the 'ping pong' from Windows, but when I remove the short the device comes back as 'Freetronics 8U2 USB' again. No sign of DFU mode.

Can somebody lend me a hand?

Thanks!

angusgr
Freetronics Staff
Freetronics Staff

Re: DFU Mode

Post by angusgr » Wed Mar 30, 2016 1:24 am

Hi Spud,

I think you've found the right parts. The steps to get to DFU are:

1) Short the UBOOT jumper on the back of the EtherMega (with solder or a resistor or piece of wire).

2) Short the RST and GND pins on the atmega16u2 ICSP programming header. This is the six pin header closest to the RJ45 jack and the USB socket, and the RST and GND pins are the end two pins closest to the USB socket.

3) Connect the EtherMega to USB (with the power source jumper set to USB.)

4) Release the RST and GND pin short.

Steps 2 and 3 can be swapped if you need them to be.

I like to short RST and GND using a common two pin jumper block, if you happen to have any of those lying around.

... after all this, you should see a different USB device (the Atmel DFU device) appear in Device Manager in Windows.

SpudInNZ

Re: DFU Mode

Post by SpudInNZ » Sun Apr 10, 2016 6:11 am

Hi

Thanks for your reply. I'd swear that's what I'm doing, but now I am filled with self-doubt :) I'm on holiday for a few weeks but will have a go again when I get back.

Cheers