RELAY8 - Solenoid Question

Got comments, questions, or tips about any of the shields listed on ShieldList.org? Post them here!
lysdexic

RELAY8 - Solenoid Question

Post by lysdexic » Thu Jun 04, 2015 6:00 am

Hi guys,

I'm interested in stacking 2 of these shields to control 16 push solenoids to actuate 16 resonant surfaces musically.

My arduino programming skills are intermediate, I have used arduino in many projects though my electronics knowledge is still novice and I have never used relays.

I really like the idea of using serial commands over I2C to trigger the relays.

I am having trouble matching the relays and solenoids to the shield though, I am unsure about the the "maximum output 115mA per channel" rating listed on the RELAY8 page and after reading all the forum posts in this section I am seeing numerous "you blew your relay" etc - would much prefer to avoid trial and ($) error.

Can you suggest the best pairing of relays and solenoids for this project? I am planning to use 12v solenoids.

Then I can determine the power supply.

Many thanks!

angusgr
Freetronics Staff
Freetronics Staff

Re: RELAY8 - Solenoid Question

Post by angusgr » Sun Jun 14, 2015 10:18 pm

Hi lysdexic,

Sorry for the slow reply to your question.

Most relay and solenoid coils should be compatible, as long as they're not huge beefy ones.

Can you post any links to products you were considering, please? We can give you some indication if they're suitable or not.

Angus