Adding SCL and SDA pins

The Terminal Shield breaks out all the Arduino headers to handy screw terminals, making it really easy to connect external wires without using a soldering iron. Ideal for quick experiments or for robust connections. [Product page]
deeceethree

Adding SCL and SDA pins

Post by deeceethree » Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:43 pm

I'm using the Freetronics terminal shield with an Arduino Mega and an Adafruit motor/stepper/servo shield version 2. The Arduino communicates with this shield using the I2C protocol via the dedicated pins named SCL and SDA. Unfortunately the Freetronics shield does not have headers to pass these two connections through. What chance is there of Freetronics adding the two extra headers?

angusgr
Freetronics Staff
Freetronics Staff

Re: Adding SCL and SDA pins

Post by angusgr » Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:47 am

Hi Deeceethree,

You're right that the Terminal Shield is one of our last shields to be updated to the "R3" format (aka "1.0 standard"), with the i2c pins in the correct place.

For now unfortunately the best you can do is wire them across manually. If it's a Mega2560 then SDA is on pin 20 and SCL is on pin 21 (see here for a full list of i2c pins). Sorry that isn't simpler!

We plan to get this shield updated to the R3 standard, soon.

- Angus

deeceethree

Post by deeceethree » Sat Mar 08, 2014 3:37 am

Angus,

Thanks for your reply. Can you give me any indication of when the updated shield will be available?

David

angusgr
Freetronics Staff
Freetronics Staff

Post by angusgr » Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:47 pm

Hi David,

Not at the moment, sorry.

- Angus