Prototyping area questions

The Terminal Shield breaks out all the Arduino headers to handy screw terminals, making it really easy to connect external wires without using a soldering iron. Ideal for quick experiments or for robust connections. [Product page]
vortexau

Prototyping area questions

Post by vortexau » Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:07 am

Hi Folks,

Really new to electronics, but have been having fun playing with it so far with my Arduino's. I'm working on a controller for my home-brew fermentation fridges at the moment, i'll post some details in the other forum soon :)

I have this terminal shield because of how easy it is to connect to external wires and my breadboard (which was the main reason I bought it), but I'm nearing the point where I'd like to get soldering, which leads me to my question.

How does the prototyping section work? Is that just like a built in breadboard that requires soldering? If it is, which way do the busses run? Does it have the split in the middle like a breadboard?

As an idea, here's a pic of my simple circuit on breadboard:
ArduFerm OneWire by auvortex, on Flickr

Single OneWire temp sensor to start with, but planning to add a total of 5.

I had a search via Google but everything I found about building a shield is literally from scratch, designing the PCB etc from nothing. I'm not that far along! :)

Thanks

Flymo

Re: Prototyping area questions

Post by Flymo » Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:15 pm

I'm a long way from home, so can't haul mine out and check it... IIRC it's just pads, what you see is what you get in the proto area. I've tended to use a breadboard like yours, mostly, or lash something together on some perf board.
Don't worry, someone will pop up with an answer eventually, or you could always buzz it out with your multimeter and let the world know!
;)

KegRaider

Re: Prototyping area questions

Post by KegRaider » Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:11 am

Mine is individual pads. So you use some hookup wire (insulated if running past other bits), to link other components.

-KegRaider