usbasp and ATMega2560V-8AU - can't program

Our range of tiny modules are designed to make it easy for you to quickly add functionality to your projects. [Module List]
jmusther

usbasp and ATMega2560V-8AU - can't program

Post by jmusther » Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:15 pm

I've been using the usbasp programmer for a good while now for programming a range of micros, including the ATMega2560-16AU at 5V and even at 3.3V (outside spec, but it works).

Now I'm trying to program the ATMega2560V-8AU, but so far I've been unable to get it to work.

As an example, this works with the 16MHz ATMega2560:

Code: Select all

/Users/xxxxxxx/Library/Arduino15/packages/arduino/tools/avrdude/6.3.0-arduino6/bin/avrdude -C/Users/xxxxxxx/Library/Arduino15/packages/arduino/tools/avrdude/6.3.0-arduino6/etc/avrdude.conf -v -patmega2560 -cusbasp -Pusb -e -Ulock:w:0x3F:m -Uefuse:w:0xFD:m -Uhfuse:w:0xD8:m -Ulfuse:w:0xFF:m -b 4
And this doesn't work with the ATMega2560V at 8MHz:

/Users/jmusther/Library/Arduino15/packages/arduino/tools/avrdude/6.3.0-arduino6/bin/avrdude -C/Users/jmusther/Library/Arduino15/packages/arduino/tools/avrdude/6.3.0-arduino6/etc/avrdude.conf -v -patmega2560 -cusbasp -Pusb -e -Ulock:w:{bootloader.unlock_bits}:m -Uefuse:w:0xFD:m -Uhfuse:w:0xD4:m -Ulfuse:w:0xE2:m -b 4
I get:

avrdude: auto set sck period (because given equals null)
avrdude: error: program enable: target doesn't answer. 1 
avrdude: initialization failed, rc=-1
         Double check connections and try again, or use -F to override
         this check.
Is there an issue with the usbasp and the 8MHz 2560V? Has anyone else tried this or got it working?