USBasp dead?

Our range of tiny modules are designed to make it easy for you to quickly add functionality to your projects. [Module List]
GraemeSPa

USBasp dead?

Post by GraemeSPa » Wed May 25, 2016 12:14 pm

I dug my USBasp out ( moved house last July and I only now got around to project building ( gonna build a dweeno drum kit..) and I tested it by trying to load BLINK to a dweeno prototype board. Hmm, zadiq finds it and identifies it as a USBASP, the blue and green leds come on, but the IDE doesn't see it. I tried it on PC and Mac versions with same results - Do I have a dead ASP?

angusgr
Freetronics Staff
Freetronics Staff

Re: USBasp dead?

Post by angusgr » Thu May 26, 2016 2:09 am

When you say the IDE doesn't see it, what exactly do you mean? The USBasp is a bit unusual, because it doesn't appear in the "Ports" list in the Arduino IDE tools menu (as it's not actually a USB serial port, it's a different kind of USB device.)

However, if you choose USBAsp for programmer type under Tools and then choose "Upload With Programmer" or "Burn Bootloader", then it should work.

If that doesn't work, can you please copy-paste the error message from the Arduino IDE and post it here? You may want to set "Verbose ... Upload" under File->Preferences, in order to get more details.

Thanks!

GraemeSPa

Post by GraemeSPa » Fri May 27, 2016 9:54 am

Thanks for your answer, Angus. I tried what you suggested and got the following error message. I noted that the red led on the USBasp is not lighting when I try to upload. If I try a "burn bootloader" , I get the message "Error while burning bootloader"

G

Arduino: 1.6.5 (Windows 8.1), Board: "Arduino/Genuino Uno"

Sketch uses 1,030 bytes (3%) of program storage space. Maximum is 32,256 bytes.

Global variables use 9 bytes (0%) of dynamic memory, leaving 2,039 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 2,048 bytes.

C:\Program Files\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr/bin/avrdude -CC:\Program Files\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr/etc/avrdude.conf -v -patmega328p -cusbasp -Pusb -Uflash:w:C:\Users\GRAEME~1\AppData\Local\Temp\build6393279814724581131.tmp/Blink.cpp.hex:i

avrdude: Version 6.0.1, compiled on Apr 15 2015 at 19:59:58

Copyright (c) 2000-2005 Brian Dean, http://www.bdmicro.com/

Copyright (c) 2007-2009 Joerg Wunsch

System wide configuration file is "C:\Program Files\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr/etc/avrdude.conf"

Using Port : usb

Using Programmer : usbasp

avrdude: error: could not find USB device with vid=0x16c0 pid=0x5dc vendor='www.fischl.de' product='USBasp'

avrdude done. Thank you.

avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding

avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 9 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x22

avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding

avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 10 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x22

avrdude done. Thank you.

Problem uploading to board. See http://www.arduino.cc/en/Guide/Troubleshooting#upload for suggestions.

This report would have more information with
"Show verbose output during compilation"
enabled in File > Preferences.

angusgr
Freetronics Staff
Freetronics Staff

Post by angusgr » Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:42 am

Sorry for the slow reply, Graeme. Looks like it is indeed not seeing the USBAsp at all.

It could be a driver issue in Windows. If you open the Device Manager control panel while the USBasp is unplugged and then plug it in, do any new entries appear?

Angus