hardwiring a USB Boost

Our range of tiny modules are designed to make it easy for you to quickly add functionality to your projects. [Module List]
leo_stuck

hardwiring a USB Boost

Post by leo_stuck » Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:02 am

i am using a USBBOOST to power my leostick & it's sensors. The enviroment in which it operates is
subject to rapid acceleration & sudden shocks, as a result occassionally there are interruptions to the power connection - very short in duration but enough to disconnect the sd card module & cause the whole thing to hang.
I would like to hard wire the usbboost to the VIN pins on the leo'. If i remove the socket on the usbB can I solder the wires to the 2 outside contacts? are the 2 middle contacts used at all ? (there appears to be components & tracks leading to them). Lastly can you see a problem if I use the 2 socket mounting holes to srew the usbB' to the board which everything else is mounted on?

angusgr
Freetronics Staff
Freetronics Staff

Re: hardwiring a USB Boost

Post by angusgr » Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:15 am

Hi Leo,

That setup should be fine. The two middle connections (USB data lines) are connected on the USBBOOST in a way that signals to a connected iPhone or iPad that is can draw 500mA. The LeoStick doesn't pay any attention to them.

Regards,

Angus

angusgr
Freetronics Staff
Freetronics Staff

Post by angusgr » Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:16 am

You can also leave the socket in place and just solder wires to the two solder pads at the back of the socket. This is what I'd probably do.

leo_stuck

Post by leo_stuck » Wed Jun 25, 2014 4:40 am

Thanks Angus, my project should be ready to rocket and roll soon, once i get this little job done.