USBASP Programmer

Our range of tiny modules are designed to make it easy for you to quickly add functionality to your projects. [Module List]
maverick25ss

USBASP Programmer

Post by maverick25ss » Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:25 am

Hey guys,

Just got the ICSP programmer today from Jaycar. I was hoping to make things easier to upload sketches to my Cube as I'm using Ubuntu Linux and I didn't have any luck getting the Leostick/Cube to get recognised using just USB.

So, I followed the instructions for the ICSP as written on the site and I can't get the IDE to recognise the device, even running as root. I can select the board and the programmer from the IDE but the port selection is greyed out and I can't change it. And at the bottom right corner it tells me that im using the Leostick profile and using port /dev/ttyACM0. When I click upload i get "can't open device /dev/ttyACM0".

Just wanting to know how others have gone with the Leostick and the ICSP and Linux and if they could offer any advice.

Thanks, Ben

maverick25ss

Re: USBASP Programmer

Post by maverick25ss » Wed Dec 04, 2013 3:35 am

Well I tried installing the drivers for windows lastnight by following the instructions on the setup guide and downloaded the driver and my Norton popped up to say that the installer was a threat. Has anyone has this problem or should I ignore the threat and install anyway?

angusgr
Freetronics Staff
Freetronics Staff

Post by angusgr » Wed Dec 04, 2013 6:01 am

Hi Ben,

Regarding Linux, the USBASP programmer actually isn't a serial device so you don't need to select a port. The IDE should automatically find the USBASP when you go to "Upload Using Programmer". If you get an error then you might need to make the changes listed under Permissions on Linux on the QuickStart page.

Regarding Windows, I wouldn't expect Zadig (the Windows driver installer) to make Norton complain but there's a chance given it writes to system directories. Did Norton give any details about the nature of the threat?

Finally, I'm a little concerned to hear you couldn't get the Cube working through the normal USB port. Can we help you sort that issue out, as well?

- Angus

maverick25ss

Post by maverick25ss » Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:30 am

Thanks for the reply.

My bad. I must have been half asleep (night shift does that to you) when I read the quickstart because I didn't remember looking at the "Upload Using Programmer". So all working, thanks.

I don't have my wifes wWindows laptop with me, but from what I can remember Norton didn't like usbinstaller.exe. The threat was suspicious.ad. But after researching it now suspicious.ad is not a specific threat but software that Norton thinks may have been modified to become malicious. And in this case post probably a false positive.

The USB uploading problem was only for Linux, not windows. But with this programmer Im not fussed with uploading using Linux anymore.

Thanks again.

angusgr
Freetronics Staff
Freetronics Staff

Post by angusgr » Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:06 pm

Thanks for letting us know you got it working. Enjoy the Cube and the programmer. :)