Distance to sensor

Our range of tiny modules are designed to make it easy for you to quickly add functionality to your projects. [Module List]
The Doc

Distance to sensor

Post by The Doc » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:48 am

I know the distance can be important but I wonder about the detail

I'll have an arduino connected to a temperature sensor by about 20 metres of two core cable. Will that work as is or do I need to do something to overcome problems ?

andrew
Freetronics Staff
Freetronics Staff

Re: Distance to sensor

Post by andrew » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:08 am

Which temperature sensor are you using?

The Doc

Post by The Doc » Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:50 am

It's all a learning experience at present. I want to produce a controller for a solar pool heater. I have an old sensor on the roof which would be my preferred option. I planned to connect through an analogue input and observe resistance so as to set boundaries in the program. If that didn't work I thought I'd just try a thermistor from Jaycar with some weatherproofing ?

andrew
Freetronics Staff
Freetronics Staff

Post by andrew » Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:16 pm

The Doc wrote:It's all a learning experience at present. I want to produce a controller for a solar pool heater. I have an old sensor on the roof which would be my preferred option. I planned to connect through an analogue input and observe resistance so as to set boundaries in the program. If that didn't work I thought I'd just try a thermistor from Jaycar with some weatherproofing ?
The old sensor sounds fine, as you understand the resistances involved (and it still works!). Otherwise there's literally scores of options - wired, digital, wireless etc.

hamster

Post by hamster » Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:10 am

I did something like that with a guy at work. We used digital sensors on a multi-drop setup.

http://dx.com/p/ds18b20-waterproof-digi ... ver-204290

We had about 10m of UTP out to the sensors.

It was controlling the pump for a solar pool heater. We had
- Ambient air temperature sensor
- Pool outlet sensor
- Pool inlet sensor
- Ambient light sensor.

Logic was a little like - is it bright enough? is it warm enough? Is the pool cool? If so, turn the pump on for 30 seconds.

Is the water coming back into the pool warmer than the outlet temp? If so keep the the pump running, if not wait for 30 minutes and try again

Turn the pump off when the pool is too hot, or inlet water is not warmer than the outlet.

We also had some logic to prevent the pump from cycling on and off too rapidly.