Button covers

The LCD and Keypad Shield gives you a handy 16-character by 2-line display, 5 buttons and a controllable backlight.
marks

Re: Button covers

Post by marks » Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:44 am

I might add that I'm 110% happy with the rest of it. I have the USBdroid, Terminal Shield and LCD shield for my two development kits and the same except planning on replacing the Terminal Shield with the Proto shield for my working field units.

Cheers,

Mark S.

jonoxer
Freetronics Staff
Freetronics Staff

Post by jonoxer » Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:34 pm

Hey @marks, I'm sorry to hear that.

If you send me your postal address via forum personal message or email (jon@freetronics.com) I'll send you a couple of replacement buttons. It shouldn't be too hard to remove the existing button with a bit of solder braid or a solder sucker and fit a replacement.
--
Jon

marks

Post by marks » Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:43 pm

Excellent and thank you for the very quick response Jon,

I have emailed my postal address.

Cheers,

Mark S.

marks

Post by marks » Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:04 am

My solution was to use some buttons from Jaycar part no SP0596 Push Button Switch Caps - Pk.10.

Bit "exxy" at $4.50 for 10 and they are too large for the button pin but they fit with quite nicely with a piece of heatshrink tubing inside the cap. Just push on.

Cheers,

Mark S.

j.adams

Post by j.adams » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:37 am

Hi Guys I have one of these LCD and although Im not useing these buttons on mine what about just putting some momentry buttons on your front panel and creating a resister tree the same as the on board ones and ether use a different Analoge input or the same one as the LCD Keys? I know its a shame to have to reinvent something but it might be a way to make the buttons more reliable?

Thanks Jason :)

csconsulting

Post by csconsulting » Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:52 am

I have faced this exact same issue, and my solution involved some aluminium rod from a hobby supplier.
I used 5mm rod, and cut it into little pieces as long as required to go through to the front panel plus another mm.
Sanded and polished one end, and carefully, with a vice and a bench press, and a center punch, drilled a hole into the other end of the rod. I think it was a 1.5 mm drill? I cant remember. I used a precision drill set.
I drilled into the rod around 3-4 mm, and then just slipped them over the little switch pins.
if the hole was a little too deep, i just cut up some tiny pieces of hook up wire and put that in the hole to space it out.
To stop them from falling out, i slightly squeezed the end of the rod with the hole to get a friction fit over the switch pins. I didnt dare use any form of glue, because if it went down into the switch, its all over!

JFiddle

Post by JFiddle » Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:38 pm

Jaycar sells these: http://jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID ... ATID=978#1

Might be alright or with minor mods might do the trick. Am also looking for button "tops"