Arduino WiFI and LCD&Keymade not working

The LCD and Keypad Shield gives you a handy 16-character by 2-line display, 5 buttons and a controllable backlight.
moonerj2

Re: Arduino WiFI and LCD&Keymade not working

Post by moonerj2 » Fri Jun 13, 2014 6:27 am

"hello world" , works but the "forms " with the menus does not ,,

LCD.h library has issues , think its looking at the default pins, and i'm not sure how to tell it to look at the pins i've moved them to.

LiquidCrystal works but LCD does not,

angusgr
Freetronics Staff
Freetronics Staff

Post by angusgr » Sun Jun 15, 2014 11:18 pm

Hi moonerj2,

Sorry, in your original post I missed that you weren't just using the built-in LiquidCrystal library.

We recommend using the built-in LiquidCrystal library to begin with. This is the library we support. Third party libraries may not work if they have hardcoded pins. The QuickStart guide has a short example sketch that uses the buttons for input.

I actually wasn't able to track down where the "LCD" library you refer to came from, it's not part of the Arduino IDE and the terms are hard to search for. If you post a link then we may be able to help, but obviously we can't guarantee anything for a third party library.

Angus

moonerj2

Post by moonerj2 » Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:08 am

Think i found the LCD class libary at
http://rweather.github.io/arduinolibs/l ... world.html

Example > LCD > form
just lights up the top line of the display, other is dark.

Example > lcd > Hello worls
does the same

Example > liquidcrystal > scolling text
works fine as do other examples in this libaray

would like to get something similar to "Example > lcd > form" , so as to change some variables via the LCD module, while the program is running.

angusgr
Freetronics Staff
Freetronics Staff

Post by angusgr » Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:44 am

Hi moonerj,

Thanks for explaining. I've modified rweathers' library so you can set the pin assignments, similar to the LiquidCrystal library.

You have to declaration at the top to look like this, similar to the LiquidCrystal library:

Code: Select all

LCD lcd(8,9,4,5,6,7);
(Just change the pin numbers to match what you're using.)

I've submitted the change back to rweathers, but until he has time to merge it in you can grab the updated library from my fork on github:
https://github.com/projectgus/arduinolibs

Regards,

Angus

moonerj2

Post by moonerj2 » Wed Nov 12, 2014 4:06 am

Sorry for not getting back to this , been busy with Polytechnic , be finished end of next week. so will re-look at the project.. May need a hand getting the different parts to talk and share information. also plan to add a wifi comms to another board , whats the range of wifi? looking the the range of about 25Km