Online thermometer tutorial

Our Ethernet Shield combines LAN connectivity, a microSD slot, Power-over-Ethernet support, and even a prototyping area for you to add your own parts.
jonoxer
Freetronics Staff
Freetronics Staff

Online thermometer tutorial

Post by jonoxer » Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:40 am

Just for the benefit of those arriving in the forum for the first time who haven't seen the tutorials on the Freetronics site, one that may be of interest if you have the Ethernet Shield is the Online Thermometer project:

http://www.freetronics.com/pages/online-thermometer

It's an updated version of the Online Thermometer from the book "Practical Arduino", built using our Wiznet-based Ethernet Shield instead of the ENC28J60-based shield featured in the book.
--
Jon

LukeW

Re: Online thermometer tutorial

Post by LukeW » Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:52 pm

Is there a reason that you chose to avoid a multi-drop OneWire bus consisting of several DS18B20 sensors connected to a single Arduino digital pin in this project, Jon?

It's a very nice feature, to be able to have a network of DS18B20s all over your house, or something like that, connected to a single cable run and a single Arduino pin.

On a slightly related note...

I've noticed that in the Arduino community, whenever anybody mentions using a temperature sensor, 90% of the time the temperature sensor is a DS18B20. There's nothing wrong with that, it's a good device, but if you just want a basic temperature sensor I think it's usually hard to justify paying approx. $5 each for DS18B20 sensors when there are other kinds of good, cheaper, temperature sensors available - both with analog outputs and with digital outputs such as I2C.

jonoxer
Freetronics Staff
Freetronics Staff

Post by jonoxer » Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:38 pm

Is there a reason that you chose to avoid a multi-drop OneWire bus
Mostly because I had big reliability problems with multi-drop! I've heard of people having good results with it, but for me 1-Wire has been more promise than reality.

You're right about the alternatives if you just want a simple temperature sensor: there are some good devices out there.
--
Jon

ninja2

Post by ninja2 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:02 am

Jon - could you please respond to my thread on bootloader size in the UBSdroid section, a few of us a're hanging on your input !